Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Fantastic! :cool:

No need - turns out I already had it set up properly. :)
I love the SACDs, DVD-A, and BR music discs in 5.1.:T:T

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
How does it sound?

Did you follow the directions i posted for setting it up?
Agree with Ron, it might be good to double-check settings, make sure you weren't getting a PCM signal from a hybrid disk (it that is what you have). Not doubting your success, just know how easy it is to be thrown off by one odd setting and not be hearing what we think we are. Does the AVR indicate it is decoding DSD?

·
Registered
578 Posts
AudiocRaver said:
Agree with Ron, it might be good to double-check settings ...
Yup, I did double-check them when I snapped the pics (previous post). The first pic shows the Sony set-up menu, with the SACD channel option set to "DSD Multi" (the other option, IIRC, is "2 CH"). My system was playing 5.1 audio (through my 5.4 speakers :) ). The AVR did show multi-channel playback, but I forgot to snap a pic of that.

-- Edit --
From the owner's manual:
[Super Audio CD Playback Channel]
[DSD 2ch]: Plays the 2ch area.
[DSD Multi]: Plays the multi-channel area.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks eljay. Looks like the Sony 6200 is a great low cost way to get in to SA-CD.
It is, but (and I think I've got this right) only if your AVR can handle (i.e., decode) a DSD audio stream.

(Mine can, I'm guessing that most new AVRs can, too.)

As far as I can tell, the Sony will not decode an SACD's multi-channel audio track and send it to an AVR as an LPCM stream, so if you have an older AVR (or maybe even a newer, entry-level AVR) that can't handle DSD, you likely won't be able to use the Sony for SACD audio playback.

Nice thing about getting the player at BestBuy is that you can always return it if it doesn't work for you. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a Denon X3100W. It seems very capable and up to date. I will dig around the manual and see if I can find anything ,I can understand about playback formats. Thanks again.Best Buy is great about returns.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Jack I found the Sony CDP-CE500 on Amazon.ca and Amazon .com but I did not see where this unit plays SA-CD.
You sir are correct and I was wrong, it happens about 3000 times a day. I apologize for steering you in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
How does it sound?

Did you follow the directions i posted for setting it up?
SACD can sound wonderful, if the recording was done correctly and DSOM was.
The sound improves in many ways not the least of which is soundspace as well as the little details. Voices, backgrounds, clarity and improved definition. It is now so easy to hear the intonation of an instrument as well as the emotion as played by the artist. A good example is Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray. He plays hard, soft and everything in between and it shows up in spades with a SACD. Even DSOM disc can really raise the goosebumps on your arms. Something as simple as the Elton John's Your Song SACD brings a whole new life to his music. I was not happy with his CD's but the SACD is quite addictive.

The best to come may be BR music discs, wow. I have only a couple so far and I find the Beethoven 7th by to be so very good, dynamic shadings and incredibly realistic dynamics.

But for the best of the best, go yo AIX records and pick one of the sample discs and be prepared to be amazed and slack jawed for days. AIX provides several ways to listen: 2 channel 24/96, 5.1 channel audience view and right smack dab in the middle of the guys/gals playing the music. So clean and clear, it truly is stunning in its presentation. A MUST buy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a number of AIX sample discs & they are amazing. I highly recommend them. I also plan on downloading some tracks from their itrax.com website

21 - 37 of 37 Posts