Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on 3.5" speakers for the dash on a Saab 9-3.
Unfortunately mine is one of the models without front 6.5" speakers, nor the wiring in the car to connect them up so for now I've upgraded the head unit (KMD-PS971R currently, possibly changing again Sony XAV-64BT Double DIN shortly), replaced the rear 4" stock with a pair of Alpine R-Type 6x9's and still have the fronts as stock. I was intending to fit my RF200.A4 Amp and Alpine X-Type 6.5 components, but with the complication of the front doors (it's a big connector so I cant even feed wires through) I've decided to leave the headunit running things for the moment, and replace the 3.5" dash speakers to see how it goes. The WAF means this car will not be adorned with a sub.

I've been looking at the following speakers to replace the fronts, (note I'm in the UK, so some of the American brands are not so available).

Kicker: 40CS35 ~£35
Kicker: KS35 ~£40 (although I can't find on Kickers web pages)
JL:C2-350X ~£76

The JL are obviously the most expensive, and have the sink dome tweeters, so would be my quick judgement decision, but..... there may be other options.

I have absolutely no experience of kicker except that many say they are good.
I wondered if people could comment on these and/or other 3.5" units available on eBay or in the UK.
I'm after SQ, and will be high passing the fronts with the head unit at a few hundred Hz, so mid/top is only the important factor. If I fit the amp, the rears will be low passed to suit as well. But for the moment the 6x9's are going to have to be full range. Gone are the days when my stereo was worth 3x the price of the car, but I need to get the sound acceptable as the stock premium 70 system is only adequate for voice really...

Rgds
Jon

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Have a look at raw component speakers on PARTSEXPRESS...you could very well fit a really nice MOREL Mid-tweet in your front dash that will play down to 2000hz..
without knowing the mounting depth of the exisiting speaker its harder to know what to recommend. Dash speakers tend to be very shallow, but a nice tweeter + your rear 6x9's will improve your sound Q alot... srry to hear you cant add a sub... they do have shallow mount subs that take up very little space......
If you have the means, you can aslo have custom door enclosures made for 6.5's....they are actually pretty easy to make / check out YOUTUBE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts