Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New REW user here. I need to make some measurements next week. mostly they are acoustical in nature, i.e. not too interested in relative arrival times between speakers etc. yet. I have a Windows 7 laptop, and an RME Fireface UC card, which works well so far. I normally use ASIO with other apps, and minimal problems so far. my main concern is to get good IR's in the studio I am measuring, and no complications, as I can't go back and measure again. Most of the analysis will be done after, either in REW and/or by exporting data into Matlab.

I have loaded V5.00 build 2142, and so far it seems to work. Just wondering, in light of above, and of the varios discussions in this forum, if i should load the beta version?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
We always recommend using the latest beta version. That is for having the latest bug fixes, minor feature additions, and compatibility improvements. If you are getting good sweeps, using the version you have is doing no harm. For best reliability, if nothing else, I would always use the latest. It only takes a few seconds to install.

When taking sweeps for later analysis, a few sanity checks are a good idea. Check the distortion curve for low noise floor. Also the waterfall. And the impulse response to see that the reflections seem to make sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We always recommend using the latest beta version. That is for having the latest bug fixes, minor feature additions, and compatibility improvements. If you are getting good sweeps, using the version you have is doing no harm. For best reliability, if nothing else, I would always use the latest. It only takes a few seconds to install.

When taking sweeps for later analysis, a few sanity checks are a good idea. Check the distortion curve for low noise floor. Also the waterfall. And the impulse response to see that the reflections seem to make sense.
So i take it the Beta is stable. I'm not sure what you mean by checking the distortion curve. i usually look at the ETC as a quick check. Then a noise measurement (preamp muted) in the frequency domain overlayed on the measurement, as well. i will update to the Beta.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Sounds like you are covered in terms of the sanity checks.

The beta version is very stable, the changes are mostly minor feature upgrades. On the rare occasion that a stability issue arises, John usually has it fixed and updated within a couple of days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts