Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here actually painted the Budget BOC from Joann's? I didn't know if the primer or paint would cause the material to sag? I assume you frame the material first and then paint it, correct? Also, do you think priming the BOC is necessary?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I don't believe priming is necessary. As for the sagging, I'd recommend spraying the BOC as opposed to rolling. Rolling requires a firm surface and can cause the material to stretch under the weight of the roller and the pressure required to use it. Wagner Control Spray HVLP gun. :yes:

If you're going to roll it, it would be wise to place something temporary underneath the framed BOC to support it. After it's painted there should be no sagging whatsoever. :T

·
Registered
20 Posts
I built a 106" screen 5 years ago using the same procedure with the Joann's BO cloth. I since painted it with Behr Silerscreen 4 years ago. I foolishly used the spray on Kilz which was a disaster. I had to carefully scrape all the bumps. Then I rolled with KilZ. Never know that I had to thin it either and used it straight. Recently, I painted with Kilz and BW.

Even after all of this, I have no sag in my screen after 5 years...Did you use a gazillion staples as the procedure suggests ????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did, but I was foolish enough to try a 'discount' BOC that I got from walmart. It was called drapery lining and appeared to be solid material but it leaked the primer straight through and that allowed it to, what I believe happen, was attach to my frame's support bars underneath and then the rest of the material in between the bars began to sag. I think I am going to give it another shot with Joann's BOC. Did you use the Budget BOC? Also, did the BOC allow any paint to leak through or was it pretty impermeable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Joanns here in Ann Arbor, MI had only one kind and it was cheap...I do not remember what I paid 5 years ago, but it was in single digits / yard.

The material was thick and it did not leak the primer or paint....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, using the right material actually works...go figure...:)

I received my BOC from Joann's today and got it stretched on the frame. Also applied the first coat of Kilz2. I'm planning on applying my first coat of BW tomorrow night. Can't wait to give it a shot!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I applied the first coat of BW this morning and it went on beautifully. This stuff rolls very easily. If you roll the end like suggested, it's very easy to avoid roller marks.

On another note, my panasonic pf showed up this morning as I was finishing up my first coat. Now, only one more coat to go, some drying time and then time to enjoy. Can't wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have decided to give spraying a shot. As detailed as I tried to be, it just wasn't good enough. I have a couple of roller marks and a line of what I consider to be different paint texture due to rolling paint on top of the 2x2 frame that is underneath my stretched BOC cloth. I was wondering how much should I thin the Black Widow Mixture to get it to spray smoothly? I am planning on buying a Wagner Sprayer. Thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Mech has the Wagner CS, so he can give you better details; but as a general rule-of-thumb I would dilute the BW mix with 30 percent distilled water (mech used tap water and got away with it, but I tend to err on the side of caution :)). For a normal 40 ounce BW mix that would work out to 40 times 0.30 = 12 ounces of water to thin for spraying.

If you haven't sprayed with the Wagner CS before, always practice on something other than your screen. It takes a bit to get used to seeing and feeling how the paint goes on.

If the roller marks are too appearant, you may have to sand them down a little, but only do this if it really needs to be done - it could be a real hassle on a BOC screen and more harm than good could result.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mech has the Wagner CS, so he can give you better details; but as a general rule-of-thumb I would dilute the BW mix with 30 percent distilled water (mech used tap water and got away with it, but I tend to err on the side of caution :)). For a normal 40 ounce BW mix that would work out to 40 times 0.30 = 12 ounces of water to thin for spraying.

If you haven't sprayed with the Wagner CS before, always practice on something other than your screen. It takes a bit to get used to seeing and feeling how the paint goes on.

If the roller marks are too appearant, you may have to sand them down a little, but only do this if it really needs to be done - it could be a real hassle on a BOC screen and more harm than good could result.
I plan to practice quite a bit before I spray the screen. I ended up buying a gallon of the Burmuda Beige initially so I will likely mess with that. I noticed that the spayer can spray in many different patterns. Do you think the horizontal spray making vertical stripes would be best or use the round spray with vertical stripes?

The roller marks aren't bad enough I think that they will need to be sanded down, but they sure are annoying under bright scenes. Of course no one else notices but once you see 'em, they never disappear.

I unfortunately already screwed on the border and wrapped it in Velvet so I'm gonna have to do one of a tape and cover job before I start spraying.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I have my air-compressor run HVLP gun set to spray it's widest vertical pattern, or "fan". When shooting water I get a vertical pattern about 12" long when the gun in about 12" away from the target. Even with my latex paint thinned about 30% with water that fan shrinks to about 8" when I spray it on the same setting (which is wide open for the fan size). It's a great idea to practice with the same paint you will be spraying "for real", adding the AAA-F to the BB won't change the viscosity all that much, so the same settings will work for the BW mix as well as straight BB.

Again, mech can tell you for sure, but I think the Wagner CS is also used with the fan set at maximum for vertical fan.

Yeah, when we make something we tend to see every imperfection in it. This seems to go double when it comes to screens. It's like having a bad or stuck pixel on your LCD monitor. It's only one out of almost two million, you might miss noticing it for awhile, but after you do your eye is drawn it!

Spraying a screen that already has a border attached could be a problem. What happens is that the paint doesn't want to spray into the edges or corners when the border and screen meet. If you really can't remove the border to spray the screen, I would suggest creating a similar border on your practice screen so you won't run into any surprises doing the real screen.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
As Harp said use the vertical pattern. :T That would be when you have the ears of the air cap in the horizontal position.

AS for thinning, the Wagner comes with a tool to judge when a mix is thinned enough. If it runs out of the container in about 45 seconds or less, IIRC, you're good to go. The way I did it before I bought a Wagner was to dip a plastic fork in the paint and if the paint sticks between the tines rather than running off, the mix was too thick.

mech

1 - 13 of 13 Posts