Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With the tip of the microphone mere inches from the dustcap of the driver there's simply no way for the room to influence anything. That's what you see in those graphs.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think it's a little disappointing a higher-end finish wasn't showcased. There are at least a couple other companies out there competing in this same market that have galleries filled with gorgeous examples of their work. Seeing how the components are available to purchase directly, there is really nothing in the Salk/Rythmik example that would compel a buyer to chose them as the cabinet maker.

Sure they can make whatever design one might like and I'm confident the construction would be incredible, but IMO that is not the difficult part. The difficult part is designing a massive subwoofer that people will be proud to display. I think the average consumer would rather see a stellar example and say, "Ooh, I want one like that!"

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Salk does have many examples of what they can do finish wise - just click on the aforementioned Gallery link on their website and you'll find several dozen examples. This particular unit came in satin black paint at my behest, because frankly I'm not a fan of gloss finishes that reflect light. I also wanted to ensure the cost stayed at $1,895 (the base cost).

Are there other companies doing custom work like Salk? Absolutely, I imagine every company has competitors. I have a hard time seeing how anyone else can make a similar subwoofer for the same price though, unless it's a DIY project of course. The material costs and man hours necessary to build and paint something like the SR15-DP is pretty significant, and probably not something you'll find too many custom cabinet makers willing to do without charging a pretty penny.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well, if I need to provide an example, I think I'd take Rythmik's own FV15HP in matte finish for $1339. Very similar performance with better aesthetics IMO. In fact, almost the exact same sub but swap ports for passive radiators.

The point of using passive radiators is to achieve a low tuning in a volume that does not accommodate long, large diameter ports. It's a point that seems to be lost on this sub whose volume is more than adequate to achieve low tuning with a simple port, as evidenced by Rythmik's design. In fact, this sub appears to be even larger. Using passive radiators just seems to be adding cost unnecessarily.

That's why I don't get it. And why in the world is it down-firing?

·
Banned
1,050 Posts
I personally don't see how close mic can exclude the room :scratchhead:....
Close mic'g (one inch from the dust cap) eliminates all room influences. Six inches or a foot from the driver will allow the room's influence to color the measurements. Sans benefit of an anechoic chamber, this is why the need for open plane measurements.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts