Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salk Sound / Audio by Van Alstine - Room 1107

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a system equipment list.

Joe's Impressions

For those that have followed along with my show reports throughout the past year, I have heard and talked about the Salk speakers a number of times. Salk speakers are simply a work of art - they use a standard rectangle design, but the finishes are always just gorgeous.

The Silks (MSRP - $3,500) were playing when I came into the room. Vocal imaging was dead center, and they had the open, airy sound I have come to expect from the RAAL tweeter. They had a really wide soundstage and really big sound for a bookshelf speaker. Instruments imaged really well and I was able to hear each instrument clearly. What surprised me most about the Silks was the low end capability - very clean and impactful for a bookshelf.

They then swapped over to the Soundscape 8s. The instrument detail was amazing - I especially like the high hats as the ping and resulting splash was just pure joy. Horns and guitar were also very good. Vocals imaged dead center and the soundstage was huge - deep and wide at the same time. I have heard the 8s before - and they continue to impress me. They just sound smooth as butter.

Overall, I really like both systems I heard - and the Salk speakers continue to impress me. Well done as always Jim! :clap:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Those are nice as well thanks. But I think my favorite so far was the Angel City Audio Birdseye Maple:drool:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Those RAAL's are a real joy to listen to. Glad you enjoyed them. Still wishing the Salk's would have made the upcoming eval @ Sonnies' place.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Salk always has such lovely looking speakers. One of these days I need to hear a set of his speakers...I hope he plans on staying in the business for a very long time :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ah, teasing are we? Dropping hints, dangling carrots? Perhaps Salk is one of the surprise entries on this round then. Way to tuck this one away in a corner Joe! :whistling: :D

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, teasing are we? Dropping hints, dangling carrots? Perhaps Salk is one of the surprise entries on this round then. Way to tuck this one away in a corner Joe! :whistling: :D
No sir - I have a feeling (more of a hope and desire!) that this will not be the last speaker evaluation we do in this price range and I am hoping the Salks will be a part of that.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ah too bad, I thought I had you sorted out!

I would be interested in a direct comparison with competitors too, as they get so much attention and praise on forums. I did hear a pair briefly at RMAF, but was not in a good seat and the music playing at the time didn't really excite me. Thus, the speaker didn't excite me. I'm reasonably confident that would have been different under other circumstances.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Gorgeous speakers.... As a DIYer Im interested in using the RAAL drivers in a future design.... Im wondering also what types of woods were used .... To me this is also an important design feature as woods all have their own resonance and sound characteristics though probably not as impacting as crossover components used (hint) :D
Its interesting that the sides were allowed to come through to the front (it appears) thus exposing the end grain.... All my designs have the baffles covering the sides as I do not prefer to see the end grains coming through...but its actually not bad looking in that smaller speaker and adds a touch of character...:yes:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
It looks like there are three speakers in the lineup but you only mention two. One of my favorite mids is the seas excel magnesium woofer. I would buy a pair of speakers with these in them as I think they are the best sounding of the mid, mix them with a Raal ribbon and it just does not get better. As always Salk is using the best quality drivers to get some of the best sound.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like there are three speakers in the lineup but you only mention two. One of my favorite mids is the seas excel magnesium woofer. I would buy a pair of speakers with these in them as I think they are the best sounding of the mid, mix them with a Raal ribbon and it just does not get better. As always Salk is using the best quality drivers to get some of the best sound.
Jim actually had 5 different speakers there - the Silks, SS8s,supercharged Songtowers, Veracity HTL-2s, and one that he had not named yet. It really was quite the room....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts