Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this TV for maybe 16 to 18 months and is receiving it's only signal through an Onkyo receiver. It's been a great TV thus far. About a week ago, I noticed it was darker than normal; picture still looked good just somewhat dark. I grabbed the remote to check the settings and see if something got messed with, nothing. I look closer and notice it's ever so slightly flickering once every 1.5 seconds, consistently almost like pulsing. So, I didn't know where to go from there.

Well, last night, I get home from work and the TV is on. I notice its still pulsing and then it flashes off, for about a half second. I'm like, what the..... Ever since, it's never stopped doing the cycle; flicker, flicker, flicker, flash off then on, in 30 second cycles. So, I dig in. swap HDMI cables, change from HDMI to component; no change. I changed sources (once when i went component), then tried air; no change. Menu flashes with it, whole screen just flashes off. I then tried going from sat. box straight to TV to check tv audio. The TV still flickers exactly the same, but the audio doesn't, so it's a strictly video issue.

I tried vacuuming all the vent areas. I took the left side (looking at it) door off and vacuumed in there. I was getting ready to pull the back off and vacuum that but I don't know enough about it to go digging in to the TV. I've pretty much eliminated all possibilities outside the TV. Screen is still dark, and still flickering/flashing. There haven't been any lights come on, everything is performing normally otherwise.

Help, there's a UFC fight Saturday night and we were going to have a fight party.

-Scott

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What do the LED indicators on the front do?

Is the menu affected or just the video from sources?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What do the LED indicators on the front do?

Is the menu affected or just the video from sources?
Menu shuts off with it, it all goes together.

I've changed sources to no avail, air, cable, whatever.

TV is off, it has the red standby led lit. TV turns on and there are no leds lit. They have never lit when the TV is running. Just checked out the back with my flashlight and it's surprisingly dust free inside there, but w/o actually getting in there, I guess who knows.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A lamp? I thought that was one of the sets with the LED light engine. So which is it, lamp or LED lit?

So is the set turning off? You said earlier you had sound. Apparently it turned on by itself, is that correct?

Check the power switch and see how it feels. They can go bad and cause intermittent strange behavior. Press it a couple of dozen times with the set unplugged to maybe clear any potential debris or oxidation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lamp? I thought that was one of the sets with the LED light engine. So which is it, lamp or LED lit?

So is the set turning off? You said earlier you had sound. Apparently it turned on by itself, is that correct?

Check the power switch and see how it feels. They can go bad and cause intermittent strange behavior. Press it a couple of dozen times with the set unplugged to maybe clear any potential debris or oxidation.
It's an LED DLP. I asked the guy about it and he just said, it's a lamp, go to samsungparts and order a lamp. I call back and tell them the guy just told me to buy a lamp, i reiterated the model number and it's an LED television, he said, if you want a lamp, get one online ignoring what i was trying to ask him (about the led lighting). of course, I go to the site and there isn't one.

Set isn't turning off, the audio remains constant while the video flashes off. And while the video is on, you can ever so slightly see it flickering, not too mention it's darker than it should be anyways. Think this is that light engine... it was showing $800 on the online parts listing.

ETA: also, thanks for the replies.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be the LED or a power supply problem. You need to find a Samsung authorized servicer who has had the training on these sets, or another independent servicer who has access to their web site and training. Samsung does training outside of their service network for NESDA and others, and they will give access to those servicers who are trained that they feel will be useful to have servicing their sets but who do not do warranty work. Specifically ask around to see if any of the servicers in your area have training and/or access to the Samsung site. You don't want anyone who will not do their homework working on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scott,

If you're still here (looks like your last post was in August), did you ever get your Samsung HLT5087S fixed? Mine has recently started demonstrating similar issues ... screen gets dark & mottled then goes dark (off, no light at all, altho the TV is still own (sound)). After a little while it'll come back on. Sometimes it will fine for days afterward and other times it'll keep shutting off it's display many times until I can finally power it off and leave it for a while.

Mine was one of the first ones, bought in April '07.

Thanks for any suggestions,
pat----

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott,

If you're still here (looks like your last post was in August), did you ever get your Samsung HLT5087S fixed? Mine has recently started demonstrating similar issues ... screen gets dark & mottled then goes dark (off, no light at all, altho the TV is still own (sound)). After a little while it'll come back on. Sometimes it will fine for days afterward and other times it'll keep shutting off it's display many times until I can finally power it off and leave it for a while.

Mine was one of the first ones, bought in April '07.

Thanks for any suggestions,
pat----
The TV is still not working. :hissyfit: Everything has been replaced except for the actual DLP chip which was supposed to be replaced last month. Just got off the phone with service reps (and managers) to find out why it hasn't been replaced yet and they told me the scheduling was overlooked. Supposed to be here this week to try it out. This is the very last thing to try. If it doesn't work then, I don't know what steps to take from there. TV is 1.5 years old and has now been malfunctioning / unwatchable for over 4 months.

moo sucks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
"Everything has been replaced except for the actual DLP chip" seems unlikely. Please list what HAS been replaced and we might make more sense of the situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Everything has been replaced except for the actual DLP chip" seems unlikely. Please list what HAS been replaced and we might make more sense of the situation.

cool. i haven't worked on it. we've been having technicians come out, who are changing stuff based on what samsung's call center junkies are telling him....

From what I know, the following has been tested/swapped or ruled out:

Light Engine
Main Board
DMD Board
some other board

He told me the only thing left he could replace was the actual DLP chip and ordered one; supposed to be here to test it this coming week. I doubt that's 'everything' but I'm not a tech so I was just using the words he used with me. All I know is my TV has not worked in 4 months and it's pretty aggravating. If this doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what to do because I'll have a 1.5 year old unfixable TV, according to them.

Only good thing is I've only paid for an initial service call, none of the parts thus far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my 2 cents ... but if all the big boards have been swapped out...
the last remaining items would be the power supply section, whichever is feeding
the light engine. If it is coming back on after tripping off, something is getting overdriven/overheated.

Try displaying the test patterns with pure blue/red/and green. If all the colors are affected, then the common should the power supply. Anyone has a schematic for these LED DLP's? I can only find the standard DLP's so far so can't guess past what should be

And from the sound of more people having the same problem, some cough... cough ... design flaw, intentional or otherwise, exists that is taking these things out right at the end of warranty periods.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to him the other day and he listed up to 7 items that have been replaced, including all the major boards. He was here last week and swapped out the DLP chip itself with no positive outcome. He discussed it with his "tech advisors" and he got someone that felt they knew something about the tv and mentioned trying another part that hadn't been discussed before; something like a cover that goes up and down with turning the tv on and off, or some sort of cover that moves up and down, the guy said it may not be performing properly. I'm hesitant to believe it but whatever.

As far as power supply, what parts would this consist of, other than something on a main board and the power cord... should it be something like replacing the power cord? Everything else has been metered and replaced.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is very difficult to comment without knowing EXACTLY what has been changed. I would be very leary of what I am being told by someone who has changed 7 items and still does not know what the problem is. Specific information is needed before any advice can be given.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is very difficult to comment without knowing EXACTLY what has been changed. I would be very leary of what I am being told by someone who has changed 7 items and still does not know what the problem is. Specific information is needed before any advice can be given.
sure, understand completely, but it's hard to tell you when i'm not the one replacing. and the tech that's doing the replacing is being told what to replace by someone on the phone... and every time he talks to them he has to speak to another person and get another 'idea'... last time i talked to the tech, when he swapped out the dlp chip, he listed 7 things and mentioned there really wasn't anything left to replace internally... now i'm not saying that's the case but i'm just an ignorant consumer who wants his tv to work..

it appears to me that this LED DLP is sort of a bastard child that varies internally to the point no one is really familiar with it and no one has the experience.... probably why it's since been discontinued and I just happened to get one beforehand.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Stop acting like an ignorant consumer and act like someone who is smart enough to look for more information, which you obviously are. Insist on a detailed list of what has been changed, who the contacts are that he is using for tech support, and what specific troubleshooting has been done, with what results. You need to call Samsung consumer relations and relate the problem, the dates of service, what was done, the dates which you have reported the problem and date of purchase, and get some real answers on what you have to do to resolve the problem. Obviously this tech is just taking a shotgun approach and shanging parts without really understanding the problem and how the set works.

You need specifics if you are going to get anything done. Demand the information, get the contacts, names, dates, etc, and escalate the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Obviously this tech is just taking a shotgun approach and shanging parts without really understanding the problem and how the set works.

You need specifics if you are going to get anything done. Demand the information, get the contacts, names, dates, etc, and escalate the issue.
You're right on both accounts... I guess I've been a little hesitant because I've already spent $75 for the initial service call by this company and being out of warranty, by a few months when this first started, I have stuck my head in the sand figuring they wouldn't do anything. now it's so far out of warranty, I'm just figuring I'm screwed as far as Samsung goes and I'm a little concerned about dropping more service money to fight something people aren't having any luck fixing. Before I know it, I'll have $250 in service bills and still be suck with a non-functional tv.

I'm going to attempt to call Samsung here in a little bit and go over the problem with them and the service attempt history. I know the technicians are using a Samsung tech line to discuss and order parts, so I wonder if they'd have a history detail given the serial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ouch, welcome to the bleeding edge. From your latest comments, did you see the parts being replaced
by this service company? Were they factory sealed parts or were they repackaged items?

If any of the parts are used and/or non functionally verified, it would just recirculate the problems to
no end in sight as well as escalating costs in labor. All this to save parts cost.

If all you saw was wholesale parts swapping with no basic troubleshooting such as voltage measurement, checking fuses, physical senses (look, listen, touch, smell) to check for anomolies, then it will be a long day in purgatory.

My question is, did all the parts stayed in your TV or did they pull it out when it did not resolve the problem? :innocent:

Also, it may not apply but try to jockey for the "lemon law" where a non repairable unit would get replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Parts were all new, opened in front of me from manufacturer. The 3 boards stayed in as did the Light Engine I believe, the DLP chip went back.

I fortunately haven't accrued any more than a one-time $75 service charge thus far. Every time they come out to try and work on it with new parts, it's on them not me. I won't have to pay them anymore until they get the parts and I have to pay for the parts. Although by now, they're losing the 'rush' to get it fixed as they've already spent so much time on it. The tech himself has been pretty good to deal with, just not as knowledgeable on this tv as I'd like, but from the sound of it, not many people really know much about this particular line of discontinued tvs.

I'm sure another company (or Samsung) will want another $75 to $125 to come out and inspect, which I'm about to the point of getting Samsung them self out but this company is certified by Samsung; in fact, last time I called for a Samsung technician (a friend's LCD display separated), Samsung themselves sent out some moo illiterate junky crew that we had to send away and get them to find a more standup company to come out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts