Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I can´t get this out of my head... If I lend a new sub from a local dealer and test it at home - do I really need to change my FBQ-2496 settings if I switch the subs and place the new one at the same position? I mean, I have already done the REW thing and putted in the recommended values in the EQ with great result. It´s the room response that I have measured, not the sub it self...

Ok, I understand that different subs sounds different, but the peaks in my room should be the same regardless the sub - right?

Do you have any recommendations when you have tested different subs at home with minimal effort? I can see that I will make a new REW after a purchase, but this is for testing purpose only...

One more thing, have you listened to any successful sub upgrades to the KEF2005.2 kit system? I have heard the Velodyne 800-R and I´m very impressed:bigsmile:
Best regards/Martin

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
If indeed you are just taming peaks from the room, then the setting should be the same. however in real world situations, that is not likely. The location of the sound source may be slightly different (driver on the box, port location/direction), and of course, each sub has it's own peaks.

I would try listening to your old sub with and without the EQ, then try the new sub with and without the EQ. I would give more weight to the non-EQ'd testings in this case (unless your room was really bad before running REW). But run it both ways, because your EQ setting should at least get you close.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks Gentlemen. I allways receive fast answers on this amazing forum :)
However, when looking at Ilkkas measurements, out in the free air, there are no peaks just a smooth response from likely every subwoofers response I have ever seen :dontknow: The room is a heavy factor...

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Oh yeah, that room is going to be the biggest factor. Problem is, some subs have a slight peak or rolloff that combined with room effects might affect the peak center or bandwidth settings of your EQ.

Not much, mind you. Also, if you go from sealed to ported, you may get a peak from the port, depending on how well it was designed. But most sub designers look to extend the bass while minimizing the peaks -- which makes the room a much bigger factor.

the worst situation is when the port peak coincides with a room mode. I had that with one cheap sub in college. Low output until that one note was hit then BANG! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I see.
If I´m gonna change sub it will be a sealed one like I have now. I believe that they are faster, even if they lack the last bottom extension. I know what you mean with that one (or two) big peak notes from years ago when I lived in a concrete flat with 2 x 10" NHT subs and mains with 2 x 7" going fullrange :mooooh: It was horrible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts