Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1699

This can be easily found on the net and also in some retail stores (I bought it locally at Sam Ash). It is usually $49.99. I haven't opened it up yet, but if someone would like me to, I could. I decided to measure the low end FR of it though, to compare it to the more common ART Cleanbox. Judging the results, I think it is superior out of the box.

I've indicated the -3dB point, which is 6.8Hz. The -2dB point is 9Hz and the -1dB point is 13.6Hz.

-1dB = 13.6Hz
-2dB = 9Hz
-3dB = 6.8Hz
-6dB = 3.7Hz
-9dB = 2.2Hz

I personally think that is just fine and a mod would be unnecessary. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I think that the ART may have met it's match. That roll off below 10hz looks fine to me too. I can live with -2db at 9hz. To bad we didn't know about this before Christmas, it would've made a nice stocking stuffer!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone else bought one of these? How's the input sensitivity matching consumer/pro versus the CleanBox?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know of anyone else on the forums that has one. But hey, if you want one I'll sell you mine. I don't need it anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought one of the s-convert bump boxes for my EP4000 amp. It works great, the output from the dual subs measured nice and clean to 20hz. In fact -0.2db at 19hz so I am happy. The level of output was sufficient once I cranked the dial on the s-convert all the way up.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That is the reason I use the Samson with my EP-2500 and 2 subs. I heard a few months back that there was no mod necessary. Sorry I didn't mention it but I thought people here knew already.:doh: It works very well and I get full power out of the 2500. I am running 2 diy 12'' subs, one is a 1.0cf sealed box with the ED 13ov.2 and the other is a 4cf sealed box with the Shiva x. I run the Samson wide open, my recievers sub level at 0.0db and my 2500 at 1/4 gain and it is more than enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i just baught one and hooked it up, this is what i did, line outs from preouts to ins of sampson using rca, then outs of samson to my amps also using rca, is this correct or am i doing something wrong becouse when i did it this way i get no sound at all

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts

Using nothing at all, if possible. These things add noise to the system (at least if you’re using them for the main channels), and there’s a good chance you don’t even need it. I’d suggest reviewing Part 7 of my gain structure article (you can find the link in my signature). I’m sure you’re looking for an inexpensive solution, so if you really want/need one I suggest finding a used S-Convert. The only alternatives I’ve come across cost in the $200 range.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have a crown xls 2500 for my DIY sub but my pioneer elite receive sub out put I'd only 335mv the crown needs 1.4v that is why I need a convert right will a art clean box work?

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts

Is that the output voltage you actually measured, or what Pioneer specs? Often the manufacturer’s figures are grossly under-rated.

The ART suffers from a mild low freq roll-out , so it might not be what you want for a subwoofer. See here. I think somewhere on this Forum there’s a thread about modifying it, if you’re brave enough to tackle that.

That said, it’s down only 5 dB or so at 20 Hz. Unless your sub digs below 10 Hz, that could easily be fixed with an equalizer.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
I opened up my s-convert and many bad caps including ones in the power supply .I replaced them and the s-convert works great .
So guys if you have the s-convert open it up and check your caps .

·
Registered
76 Posts
I opened up my s-convert and many bad caps including ones in the power supply .I replaced them and the s-convert works great .
So guys if you have the s-convert open it up and check your caps .
cdx,

How did you go about checking the caps? My S-Convert has one channel that is much noisier than the other.

JSS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts