Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to search the forums for existing answers, but havent' found anything that matches my problem.

I recently picked a used HL-R5067 and found that the color wheel was broken. So I replaced it and the TV started working just fine. A couple of months later, I turned it on and found that the TV wouldn't turn on immediately, instead it for try once, fail, and then start up with a flickering screen that would become okay after a few minutes.

A week later, the TV stopped working completely, giving up after 3 attempts. Considering I had just replaced the color wheel, I figured it's likely either the lamp or the ballast that's causing this. I took a guess and ordered a ballast. I put the new ballast in today and found that the TV did come on for a second or two, but now it's gone into a state where if I plug in the TV, the Stadyby/Temp and LAMP lights start blinking after a few seconds (without turning on the TV). If I try to turn on the TV, it comes on for a second and then turns off and the lights start blinking.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I guess it could be the lamp, but I do get picture for a second, so it doesn't seem like that (plus, the probability that the ballast, wheel and lamp all go bad within a couple of months is just too low).

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My best guess would be a digital board, but that is just a guess without doing some research on the set and troubleshooting.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything I can do to narrow down possibilities?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Research and troubleshooting is where I would be headed if I had the set in my shop.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Research: I've been trying to look at various threads on the internet for information, but haven't found anything that matches my problem closely.

Troubleshooting: This is fun, because I can play around with it and make certain observations: For instance, if I remove the bulb and remove the new ballast and put in the old one, I still get the same problem, which means that it's not likely to be a ballast/bulb issue. If I remove the whole assembly and plug it in, I don't get any blinking lights. Which means the problem is somewhere in that big sliding assembly. So maybe it is the board, as you suggest. But that's as far as I can get, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed it! Well, I fumbled upon whatever it is that fixed it. There's this blue lever towards the back of the assembly that seemed a bit interesting. I turned on the TV with the switch pulled up -- and vola! It works now! I'm not sure if it's truly what fixed the problem -- but I'm happy!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That is the safety switch that is supposed to close when the cover is on the lamp area. It will not let the set start if it is open. Be sure that you place the cover carefully so that it closes the switch.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I was told by folk at Samsung Parts that this switch could be held in either the up or down position to function.

Additionally, they told me the 4 screws on the back "ground out" and allow the set to work. I find this hard to believe as I see nothing in/on/around the screw assembly that would indicate this to be true.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't recall the switch and its exact configuration, but it has to be closed for the set to operate. THe screws do not ground out anything on any of the samsungs that I have seen. There is usually a small arm on the cover that closes the switch when it is in its proper position. I would not rely on technical information from a parts department.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts