Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. I am a service member station in Spain and am unable to simply send out my DLP TV for repair.

My Samsung DLP HL-R5067 stopped working one day while watching it, the screen simply quit and the "Temp, Lamp, and Timer" lights starting flashing. According to the manual that means replace the bulb and since its 4 years old that made sence. So i ordered a new bulb from Samsung Parts and it didn't work. They sent me another and still no luck, both gave me the same indication.

I taped down (and up) the switch in the back with all 3 bulbs, still no luck.

All 3 lamps light-up for about 5 seconds but then extingush, set makes a beep, and then all lights flash.

Any ideas???

I was an electrician about 6 years ago (for 2 years) :paddle:and know my way around a multimeter, but am a bit rusty.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you hear the color wheel spin up? The set will not try to start the lamp until the CW is sending pulses back to the light engine, which then generates the lamp enable.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so, is it a faint whirring noise. It then does the normal doodle, doodle, doo noise. I have the access panel off with the switch taped down and see that lamp come on for about 5 seconds. Then it tries again and the noise is something I have never heard before like doodle, doodle, dee.

I never heard any crash, pop, or breaking. I just walked back in the room and black screen.

Could it be the ballast? I have read they have a high failure rate.

I see you are in Gainesville, ironically I bought this at the Best Buy there on Archer.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did notice that the lamp didn't quite fit and took some wiggling, but I assume since I see it illuminate that it is seated correctly.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Not likely the ballast if you see it light up. Could be the digital board. I have seen some behave this way.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a way to see if the interlock switch is functioning correctly? I have a multi-meter but not sure what to look for across the pins.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
High resistance when the switch is open, near zero ohms when it is closed.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I will give it a try in the morning. The board is ~$450 so it looks like this guy will end up in a Spanish landfill...............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts