Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I turn on my Samsung HLN5065WX/XAA each day it works fine. If I turn it off and then turn it on again without waiting a few hours, it tries to turn on three times and fails, and blinks all three lights (timer/lamp/temp). I have replaced the lamp and cleaned out the dust on the fans and boards, but still have the same problem. Any ideas on what to try next?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Look for any swollen electrolytic caps in the power supply and ballast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the advice. I took apart my TV again and looked around. I'm not sure what exactly constitutes the power supply, but here is the board that the power cord was connected to:

tv1.jpg

tv2.jpg

Nothing appeared to be wrong with the capicitors on it, what do you think?

Power then went to a board with some large heat sinks that was near the front of the TV, making it hard to see from the back. I was able to slide out another board that was in its way, but I couldn't get this board out. Do you know where the screws are that hold this board in. I would appreciate any help you could give me on removing this board so I could inspect/dust/replace it.

Finally power went to a board connected to the lamp, which I assume is the ballast. Here are some pictures of it:

tv3.jpg

tv4.jpg

Again, I don't see anything obviously wrong. This board does have a very large capicitor, and I assume that since my problem takes hours to go away it would probably be a problem with a large capacitor. Am I thinking correctly here? Would the ballast be the next logical thing to replace?

Thanks again for all your help :bigsmile:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The board that you have pictured is the ac input board. It connects to the main power supply. Frankly, if you can't figure out what the power supply is, you likely should not be trying to DIY a repair like this and should refer the set to a professional. It is unlikely that you have the equipement needed to test power supply capacitors, nor the knowledge to discharge them safely. Please be very careful.

I would not jump to any conclusions about swapping boards. More troubleshooting will need to be done, measurements taken, parts tested, etc. If you see some puffed up electrolytics in the power supply, then you can assume that they need to be replaced. Beyond that, you will have to troubleshoot the set.

·
Registered
730 Posts
the power supply may be behind the analog board. when I saw that same board in my one set I was like I never saw a power supply like this. I looked closer and was like it's not the power supply. Also check for broken or cold solder joints. also when you try to power back up the set look threw the vents for the lamp to see if its lighting up. when I look up on www.samsungparts.com it list the power supply as BP94-00087A . there should be a sticker or something with that number on the board. the board should look like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-Power-B...0?hash=item1e580fd584&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 it looks something like the one i had issues with. after resoldering broken solder joints the tv works great.

here is a new one that says 50 dollars or best offer. http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-BP94-00...0?hash=item53d2f4bae0&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

for some reason the ebay listings do not show up. but its ebay Item number: 360021539552

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Does the color wheel spin up? If it does not, the set will not start. You could have a bad bearing that binds when hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts