Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't post pics because my iPhone is also being repaired but tonight my Samsung DLP TV just started showing these black vertical lines. They're on every input, even the menu. The picture underneath is still perfect but I can't get rid of the lines. The lamp is only 3 months old. Any ideas?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Are they stationary and always there? Is there a pattern to them? Get a service manual and run the test patterns generated on the DMD board. If they are still there, you have a bad DMD board or chip. IIRC the lines are the chip, but it has been a while since I serviced these.

If the problem is before the DMD board it is almost certainly in the Digital board, if it is not in the incoming signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they're stationary. There's nine of them, they're pretty thin in little groups of 4 or 5. I ran the tests and on one of the solid color patterns blue, red, green, etc they are there but on the 2nd round of solid color patterns they don't show. I'm totally out of my element here. I'm more of a computer nerd. I found a new DMD Board on e-Bay for $68, do you feel like it would correct the problem? I only paid $100 for the TV so even if I have to buy it, it's still worth it to me. I'm very familiar with installing motherboards and other PC/Apple parts so I'm sure I can conduct the installation by myself. Anyways, I appreciate your response and any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I opened up the back of the tv and vaccumed the heat sink on the DMD chip. It was so full of ! Is it possible it overheated? It seems like a dinky fan that's on it, it's not even an 80mm. And the heatsink was full of dust and which certainly was inhibiting it's ability to function properly. After I did that the lines were still there but it would make more sense it's the DMD board.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered a new DMD Board from e-Bay. Will update on results following installation. Hope it's that and not a digital board. Only one I found on e-Bay was $188.00

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be the DMD itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts