Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Samsung HL-4266W is about 2 1/2 years old and has started to give me some trouble. Almost daily now it has trouble turning on. The bulb will light up and I will hear a very faint whirring noise (fan or color wheel?) but no audio or video. The screen is essentially dark (not black as in "off") with some bleed-through of the bulb's light into the screen.

I have never heard any unusual noises.

Sometimes it takes a few seconds to turn on (normal) and sometimes it takes several minutes. Sometimes not at all. My solution when it gets stubborn has been to unplug the power for 10 minutes and try again. I also have a small box fan directing air into the vented area in the rear. I am not convinced overheating is an issue.

This TV doesn't typically have problems where it turns off by itself. I have seen it 2-3 times in the last 6 months, but the turn-on problem is almost daily.

The bulb is original. Picture quality is good although admittedly it does seem a bit weak compared to new. I would replace the bulb if I know my turn-on problem is not serious enough to cause me to toss it in the trash. My next option may be to invest $60-70-80 or so for a diagnosis from a TV service tech.

Any ideas before I go that route?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The problem got worse to the point where it simply wouldn't turn on anymore. So, I bought a service manual from Samsung (because I couldn't find one online for free) and all symptoms pointed to a bad DMB board. After some thought, I took a chance and sprung $180 for the new board, also direct from Samsung. It was fairly easy to disassemble and replace the new board, and sure enough it worked GREAT --- for about an hour. I turned it on and off many times in the course of 45 minutes and pronounced it cured. I put the rear cover back on, and uggghhh, it would not turn on!!! Took the cover off (and taped down the switch located just inside the cover) and it refused to work operate normally. No matter what I did, it continued to fail and not turn on consistently. Oh, it would go on maybe once every 10 tries, but that's all. A couple of hours later, after scouring through the manual and the service mode menus, I could find nothing. I gave up and put it all back together and figured I would get it to turn on and then leave it on. That worked OK until a power glitch cames along, or it got turned off accidentally. Now, a month later, it is off and it's been several days since it would turn on. I suspect some other underlying problem is the root cause, maybe something in the main board or power supply that interfaces to the DMB board is causing the DMB to fail. I'm guessing my new DMB board is toast. What a disappointment! I have an old 27" Zenith tube TV purchased in 1988 --- yep, still going strong! My Samsung DLP? Junk in less than 3 years. Looks to be time for another TV, this time it WON'T be a Samsung!

I won't toss it out yet, I'll wait for maybe someone to reply and say "yea, I had that problem and it was this...". I can hope :)

-Dave

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would have guessed a bad digital module, but these are very difficult to tie down sometimes. I have also heard of DMD chips going bad in these giving this kind of symptom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In retrospect, I did spend probably 15 minutes or more adjusting the position of the entire board assembly so that the picture is in the proper position on the screen. All this was done AFTER I did my on/off testing and reassembled it, and then realized the picture was way off center. It was only after that alignment process that things seemed to go awry. I think I'll remove the entire board assembly again, pull off the shield, ensure the main chip is seated properly, and reassemble/realign again. It only costs me time at this point. The TV is actually ON right now so I won't touch it until it goes off again. I'll keep you all posted on progress. Maybe just a little more patience is in order...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
When a problem appears after some service procedure, it is a good guess that something was done during that procedure to change conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave,

I too have a HL-R4266W which is not turning on. The symptoms are remarkably similar to yours. You can read about my situation at fixyourdlp . com / forum and search for windstar. (sorry, can't post links!)

I've read dozens upon dozens of posts, and your description of the set's failure is the only one that comes close to mine. Have you had any luck, or further ideas? I would kick myself if I spent another $200 on this set, for a DMD board for example, and it did not work.

Cheers,
JMK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windstar -- sorry I don't have any magic cures. I read your description on that other forum and it sounds like you went through a lot of trouble to diagnose it but still came up short. I suspect, but have no idea on how to prove it or diagnose it, that some chip or circuit is in very marginal condition and that the startup process cannot be completed or some down-stream circuit function is not being activated properly. Short of replacing all circuit boards I don't know what else to do. The service manual is almost worthless in that regard and doesn't provide much help to diagnose the problem. There are schematics but no explanation on how things are supposed to work. Raw schematics aren't much good in this case. I may have an electrical engineering degree but those skills are extremely rusty and I wouldn't attempt to pull things apart and debug circuit boards with tools of the trade that I don't have in my home. Overall, it's just not worth it. The TV is not meant to be fixed except for replacement of simple consumable stuff like bulbs.

If/when it gets to the point it NEVER turns on, or when I get a few extra dollars to buy a replacement set (I've got three kids in college so real money is in short supply!) the set will get tossed in the trash. I won't put any more money into it. And I will not buy another Samsung....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I suggest starting a new thread for your problem, posting as much detail about the conditions, patterns, checks, and findings as you can, and not referring to other people's problems. Personally, I do not have the time to go back and read other posts and try to sort out what the symptoms that you are describing might be. Even if I did, there may be subtle differences, or someone else may have posted some incorrect information that does not provide a clear connection to your problem. Also, posting a new problem, with the complete model number (including any suffixes in the service number) and the problem in the title will make it easier for others to find useful info in the future. A great deal of time and effort goes into keeping the forums organized and providing as much help as possible, but I cannot sort out threads that run on assuming that referring to previous posts and problems is meaningful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave - Thank you so much for your reply. Learning that the service manual did not help you and nothing else proved successful is incredibly, well, helpful. I am now ready to throw in the towel with this POS and move on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts