Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my DLP and with the Timer-Lamp/Stand by Temp lights flashing.

So far I have verified that:
The color wheel is not broken and is spinning
The fans are turning
The temp switch is not open
Replaced the lamp
Put a jumper on CN301 to remove the sub detect board

Right now the set will come on for a very short time, then turn off and flash the lights

I have ordered a ballast board and will try that next.

Is the only thing really left the DMD board?

Thanks
James

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
DMD is the likely problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuck. I am really hoping the ballast fixes it since when I did a quick search the DMD board is about 600 bucks.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the ballast. I must have moved something when I had the light engine out because the picture is out of focus. I will look through the service manaul for some type of adjustment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the manual focus control and got that taken care of so that set is now up and running fine again. I am so glad I did not need the DMD board. :jump:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Great. Glad you solved the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have this same model TV and its just over 2 years old. I have a similar problem, but I dont think its as bad YET. When I turn on my TV it does its little chime music and tries to come on, and then turns back off and tries to come back on again. It does this a couple times before it actually comes on. Sometimes it doesnt come on and I have to hit the on/off button on the TV and it will come on. I am afraid one day it just wont come on at all. I replaced the lamp and that didnt fix it. I am assuming I have the same problem you had. Where can I find information on the ballast you bought and also how do I get my hands on a technical manual you mentioned? Thanks for any information or feedback!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be a lamp, could be a ballast, could be a bad cap, could be a sticking color wheel...lots of possibilities. Listen carefully to the color wheel starting. If it sounds like it is straining or does not start spinning every time it tries to start, that may be the problem. The lamp enable comes only after the color wheel is spinning.

You can get parts info at samsungparts.com.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about this? after I posted this message it did this - I turned it off and it then turned itself back on immediately. I have turned it off before only to find it hours later still on. Also, if the TV has been in use and 'warmed' up it comes right on without a problem. Do you think that leans more towards a color wheel or ballast? Where can I get a service manual? I dont see those listed with Samsung parts... Thanks for the feedback.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I doubt that the ballast or the color wheel would account for turning the set on. I suggest you start documenting the symptoms, when they occur, and under what conditions and connections, in detail. The LED indicators during each condition may be very important.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There really is nothing to document. Its always the same. TV is set to Component input and it happens each time I try to turn it on.

I just took the back of the set off, taped back the switch so I could turn it on with the back off, turned it on and watched and listened. It seems the color wheel sounds like it starts spinning at a low RPM, so I think that is fine. Unless it should automatically spin full speed right off the rip?

So you dont think its worth while to replace the ballast? It seems many posts on the internet describe this same issue and a ballast is what was needed.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Please post all new info in the new thread that you started and stop the confusion of posting in two places.

The information that you posted above is new documentation of the problem and is important. There is always information to document and every detail imay be important, even if you think it insignificant. Once again, there should be a new thread for each new problem and all info should be posted there. It is very confusing and time wasting to have info in multiple threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts