Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon! I have had this tv for many years now, and it worked great until the color wheel went out. I replaced the color wheel (bad bearing) and it fired right up and I proceeded to watch a movie through HDMI without issue.

A few days later, the movie would begin fine, but within a few min the colors would start shifting like a crazy acid trip, with some glitching. When it glitched, you can hear the color wheel change rpm like it was getting power cut, then come right back. So now every time it get powered up the thing displays the images in this slightly blurry, psychedelic way.

Screen Electronics Technology Multimedia Electronic device

In the picture above, you can see how even the tv menu looks, so I am trying to pinpoint which board is to blame. I know the digital board control most thing, but the analog board controls menus and such. I have another samsung DLP that has an intermittent green plaid issue, so I've read a lot on that topic, but I have yet to have seen this one in my searches.

At the moment, I have only been able to use the HDMI input, as I do not have a reliable component cable. For some reason, the coax connection does not recognize when the cable from the wall is plugged in when it works fine on my other tv.... Oh well

Anyways, that is the current state, so I appreciate any assistance from the experts.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Bad digital board probably. I have not seen exactly this symptom but not far from it. Virtually ever one of these boards goes bad eventually, and the replacements are terribly unreliable. It could be a DMD board, but since it is not tuning cable, pretty likely the digital boar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I read many threads for this issue, so that is what I suspected but I wanted to show my actual issue and get some opinions. My newer samsung is doing the typical plaid screen deal, so it sucks that both are having the same issue at the same time, yet were made years apart.

Do you know if that guy in MI is still repairing the digital boards?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have not checked in a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts