Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here and glad to have found you! I'm beginning to experience an issue with my almost 5 year old DLP set. I've had multiple issues with it over the years, but that's another story, of which I'm sure you're fully aware. It's been running great for quite a while though, that is until a few weeks ago. Now, when I power it on for the first time on a particular day, the image flickers and the blue Comcast info block that appears when you hit the info button seems to ghost around to different locations on the screen. Sorry, but it's difficult to explain it better than that. I don't notice any shifting of colors or any loud noises to indicate a bad color wheel.

This behavior goes away after the set has been running for a while, but I've been noticing that it's been taking longer for it to go away. I have a feeling I'm not going to like your answers, but fire away! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me. I can post a video or a link to a video of the anomaly after I make my 5 posts, LOL!

Best regards,
John Sullivan

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Are menus affected? What inputs and signal types? What are these "different locations on the screen?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't looked at any of the menus other than the Comcast menus when this happens. I don't watch dvds so the only input I've seen this occur on is the tv's DVI input. I've got the HD box from Comcast that only has the HDMI output so I've got an HDMI to DVI cable. I use the HDMI input of the tv for my Apple TV. I have not yet switched to the Apple TV when this flickering occurs. I will check some other inputs tomorrow on the first start, because as I stated, it doesn't do it after the set warms up.

The different location that the Comcast "info" tab flashes is at the top of the screen while the flickering is occurring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a link to a video that shows what I'm talking about. This is not my set and mine does not do it anywhere near as bad as the set seen in the video, but it gives you the idea. Someone on Youtube stated it was their digital board?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That would be a reasonable guess, but until you do more to isolate the problem I would not got ordering any parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Leonard, thank you for helping me. Here is a video that I took this morning. I started the system up this time in "Apple TV". This placed the tv's input to HDMI and as you can see in the video, the flickering is quite severe. I also switched to DVD, which is on the tv's component input, and then to cable which is on the tv's DVI input. The flickering was evident on all inputs. By the time I switched over to the cable box the flickering had subsided some, but appeared worse when the cable menus were present. After about 5 minutes all the flickering had stopped completely. Given how much worse it seems to be getting every day I feel that complete failure is imminent. There doesn't appear to be any color shifting, so I wouldn't think it's the color wheel, but you'd know better than I.

Any advise you could give me is greatly appreciated. I'm an HVAC tech and pretty handy with just about anything. I've already changed the lamp and ballast in this set so I'm familiar with the inner workings and prepared to repair this thing to get a little more life out of it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You can start swapping boards if you wish, but I would be trying to find the component causing the problem. It is time related, so it is likely either thermal or capacitive changes affecting the problem. I would be looking for bad solder connections or bad capacitors. An experienced tech may be able to isolate the defective component rather than the more expensive method or board swapping, particularly if it consistently occurs when cold, then goes away quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing some more testing on all TV inputs I can confirm that the flickering only occurs when an on screen menu is present. Since the Apple TV interface is essentially a giant menu it does it for the whole warm up period. When watching cable the flickering does not occur when only cable content is on the screen, but the flickering is present when any menu is on the screen. After five minutes no flickering occurs at all.

Just thought this might help someone determine what's going on. Seems strange that it would only occur with menus present on the screen. Thanks again for your help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
When you say menus, do you mean menus generated in the set or in external devices?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the set is first started, before it's warmed up, any menu present on the screen will produce the flickering. That's menus from the set itself, and any menus from external devices, such as the Comcast cable menus, dvd menus and the Apple TV menu. The flickering is not present when the screen only has content being displayed.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Problems that change with time or temperature are usually either bad connections or bad capacitors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts