Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Samsung DLP HLR5067W started experiencing the "green plaid" problem last week. Found thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/samsung/20791-hlr6167wax-xaa-digital-board-problems.html and thought (hoped) this simple fix was the answer. (by the way, the special nut is called a "t-nut".) After carefully and methodically removing and installing the digital board with the above mentioned fix, it seems I've taken giant backwards steps.

Now the set does not fully power up. I've cycled power several times, and reopened the set to check for missing or loose cable connections. Here's the situation as it now stands: The set is plugged into the electrical socket and the cable coax is attached. The red "stand by" lamp in the 6 o'clock position is on steady, although I just noticed that about every 35-40 seconds it blinks off once for about 1/2 second. When I press the power-on button the "stand by" lamp goes off, and the 2 o'clock green "lamp" light starts blinking. However, the power-on gingle never plays. The screen starts to show a faint glow. After about 2 minutes, it shuts off and returns to the lit red "stand by" lamp status.

I felt I was being very careful not to jostle the set, and to be sure all the cables were properly reconnected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Mine eventually got to the point that it did exactly that. The pressure fix solved it for now, but as I have said, I do not expect this to be a permanent solution. Just the right amount of pressure may help, or it could make it worse. There is no way to tell without trying it and it might take adjustment of the pressure to get improvements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My failure-to-power-up issue didn't start until I'd added the pressure fix. I felt I had pretty strong pressure and, after failing to work, I redid it without as much pressure. Still didn't help, so I've removed the entire pressure bolt, yet I'm still having the failure-to-power-up issue.

I've decided I won't be buying a replacement digital board unless I am very confident it will cure the problem. I'm willing to take a few more stabs at do-it-yourself if someone can provide some suggestions. Other than that, I'm looking at either laying out maybe $500-700 for a professional to fix it, or going shopping for a new large screen TV.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are lots of variables. The problem may not have anything to do with the pressure on the chip. Several people have put connectors in the wrong location or missed a connector. It is also easy to damage things when taking the set apart and putting it back together.

I have little confidence in there being any permanent fix for these sets. Even a new board may not solve the problem in the long run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm back to where I started. One day the TV powered all the way up and showed the green screen over all my analog channels. I've found two digital channels (HD?) that came in clear. I'm not confident that a new digital board will cure the green screen ills, so at this point I'm reluctant to purchase one. For now, I'm monitoring the referenced thread and also browsing for a replacement set. Just thought I'd update with my "progress".

·
Registered
730 Posts
the RF jacks that your cable screws to is on the digital board. the antalog tuner is built into the digital board. this is a common issue with these sets and replacing the digital board fixes the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts