Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm a newbee to this site and I've been searching around for a couple days at the vast amount of info on here, but now I think it's time for me speak up.

As stated above I have a Samsung HLR5067W. About a month ago it started making a strange whistle when I powered it on. It do the Samsung boo-da-diddle-da-dee, then would whistle up in tone, then down, then the set would turn off. It would then turn itself right back on, again do the boo-da-diddle-da-dee, whistle up, then come on. For the first few seconds, maybe minute the picture would look grainy and the coloring would be off, but then once it warmed up it was good to go.

Well, that lasted the month and now nothing. I heard a loud pop the last time I tried to turn it on after the first set of whistle up/whistle down, so I replaced the color wheel (which was shattered).

After replacing the color wheel I tried to power on again and no picture. I hit power, got the boo-da-diddle-da-dee, nothing for a couple seconds and it would power off. It would power itself back on, boo-da-diddle-da-dee, couple seconds then turn off, and after the second turn off the timer/lamp/stand by-temp LEDS flashed on and off.

I looked up the flashing code and saw that it was most likely a lamp issue, so I ordered a new one and am still getting the same results, no picture.

I listened to things the last time I powered it on, and I hear an initial click when I plug it into the wall, another click when I hit the power button, then what sounds like a fan starting up, the boo-da-diddle-da-dee but then nothing else and it powers down. It powers off then repeats that same cycle one more time then quits and flashes the timer/lamp/stand by-temp. Watching things through the vents the lamp does not even so much as come on at all.

Knowing a thing or 2 about ballasts I have a sneaking fealing that the ballast isn't striking, but before I go out and get a new one of them I'd like to be sure.

Anyone give a guy a hand troubleshooting this thing before my 3 kids hog tie me and beat me senseless!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you hear the color wheel spin up? If not the lamp will not start. Did you get the ribbon cable backwards on the color wheel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check that when I get home later, because no, I hear a low mur like the sound of a fan, but nothing like a cd spinning (read that in another topic) to lead me to believe that the color wheel is spinning up. If the ribbon is in correctly, what else could that be then that would cause the color wheel to not start? (I know, I'm probably jumping the gun a little)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The service manual can help, It helped me. I was ready to pay the 12 to 16 dollars for a service manual download then I found this site.

Do not pay for a service manual...

It took me a few minutes to find this and the site is a tricky bitch but when you really look for it the pdf opens right up. Most of these places try to get you to click on a link that looks like a download and this one is no exception.
Got to
http://elektrotanya.com/samsung_hlr4667w_hlr5067w_hlr5667w_hlr6167w_chassis_l64c_sm.pdf/download.html

Near the bottom there is the words in smaller type Get manual in maroon click on this and the service manual will download. Not sure why they try to be so sneaky but it's the real deal and was important in solving my problem with a HL-R5667W :wave: It didn't have a virus or anything just a useable service manual, It was a nice find and I just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestoion about the ribbon cable lcaillo, I switched it around and now I'm right back to where I was before I started any of this!

As soon as I hit the power button this low whistle starts, then the Samsung boo-da-doodle-da-dee, the whistle goes up in tone, then down, then the set power cycles. I hear the click where it turns off, another click to turn back on, the whistle continues up then down until it powers off completely.

I'll try and take a recording of the noise and post it up.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing on this? I'm hoping I can fix this myself. Anyone? Pleeeeeease from my kids who think a 36" tube tv just isn't cool enough, lol!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like a color wheel spinning up and never getting servo lock. My guess would be either the wrong CW or a bad one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm....it seems odd to me that the old color wheel and now the new one are doing the exact same thing. Is there something that "drives" the color wheel that could be faulty?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes. The control for the color wheel is on the DMD module. You could have a bad servo circuit, bad regulator, or any of dozens of component failures that could cause a failure to lock on speed. You could have a problem with system control on the digital board.

The combination of symptoms is not one that I recognize, so more in depth research of the circuits and troubleshooting would be needed. It is very hard to tell from the recording what is going on. One would need to make some measurements and direct observations, like measuring the drive to the color wheel and monitoring the speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts