Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just joined this forum as it looks like my best bet to fix my problem.

Came home to this situation:
Switched set on and got nothing, no sound and no picture.
Standby light on.
Switch on set, boot up sound, front pannel "lamp" light flashes.
Click,click, boot up sound
This is repeated twice, then all three lights come on and flash.

Any help would be appreciated, I have no problems regarding dismantling the unit to repair.

Nick

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Usually a bad lamp. Verify the lamp part number on the rear side of the set when ordering a new one.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Usually a bad lamp. Verify the lamp part number on the rear side of the set when ordering a new one.
I concur. I had a hitachi rear projection LCD TV that did the same thing three times in one year and after the last replacement it just stopped working all together. This was back in like 2002ish though. A replacement lamp for your DLP is like $60 so it might be worth it to switch it out.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The set will not run at all with a bad lamp. On many Samsungs of this era all three lights flashing meant a lamp error. Check the diagnostics for your set, it should be in the manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The set will not run at all with a bad lamp. On many Samsungs of this era all three lights flashing meant a lamp error. Check the diagnostics for your set, it should be in the manual.
I agree the manual does indicate a possible bad lamp, however I checked the lamp and the filliment looked intacked.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You often cannot tell anything by looking at it. There is no practical way to test a lamp other than to put it in a known working set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I layout +\- $100 for a new lamp want to makes there are no other options.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the lamp was the last link, you might say in the chain reaction of getting a picture. With fans and the color wheel starting before the lamp lights up, or is the lamp the first link in that chain, the reason I ask, is that I know that at least one fan starts, but I do not hear the color wheel, or at least some noise from that area. If the lamp is not the problem and it turns out to be color wheel, ballast or another part, might be cheaper to buy a new TV.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The color wheel has to come up to speed before the lamp will try to fire. If you are not hearing it spin up, and you don't hear the lamp trying to start, you may have a bad color wheel.

Again, refer to the manual for the diagnostics for your model. The LEDs will usually point you in the right direction as a starting point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The color wheel has to come up to speed before the lamp will try to fire. If you are not hearing it spin up, and you don't hear the lamp trying to start, you may have a bad color wheel.

Again, refer to the manual for the diagnostics for your model. The LEDs will usually point you in the right direction as a starting point.
Manual only refers to the front three lights, saying all on lamp problem, no other diagnostic info. Going to have a look at the color wheel before I make a decision .
Thanx for your advice so far, I'll be back I'm sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, opened up the back got to the color wheel, part of the wheel looks as though it has rubbed against something as it has lost color on the outside edge of some of the sections. Also when giving it a spin on the edge it does not seem to move freely. So next move buy new color wheel. Will return to update when all is back together.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ok, opened up the back got to the color wheel, part of the wheel looks as though it has rubbed against something as it has lost color on the outside edge of some of the sections. Also when giving it a spin on the edge it does not seem to move freely. So next move buy new color wheel. Will return to update when all is back together.
Glad to hear you may have found the problem. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's done, replaced color wheel, and success , working perfectly. Thanx for all the advice and input from you guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts