Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

samsung hls4266w work fine then cuts off

14K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
I'm having a problem with my Samsung hls4266w and couldn't find an answer.

My tv powers on completely normally and the lamp goes to its full brightness. The picture and sound will remain perfect for about 15 seconds then the entire set turns off.
There is a low whirring noise, then all 3 buttons begin to blink. (timer, lamp, and standby/temp) This process can be repeated over and over

From the information i have gathered from the net i believe the color wheel to be the culprit (i am fully certain that the switch detecting the removal of the lamp plate is being held in place.) Before i embark on a project like replacing a color wheel i was hoping for some confirmation from someone wiser then me

#2 ·
If the set gets a picture, the color wheel is spinning up. If you don't hear a loud whine or groan at that point, it is likely OK. My guess would be a bad DMD board with that symptom, but it could be one of several things. Could be a lamp, could be a ballast and or power supply...hard to tell without doing some checking.

#4 ·
Find a servicer who is very experienced with Samsung DLP sets and is responsive to questions. Sometimes if you post your location, others may be able to recommend a good service option.

#5 ·
Hey josh482,

Did you ever solve your problem?

I have the same problem with my HL-S4266W, it shuts off after a minute & all 3 buttons begin to blink (timer, lamp, and standby/temp). I bypassed the rear access switch by connecting the switch wires together, I know this isn't the problem. My fans are working well, I verified. I hesitate to replace the bulb with the possibilty that it is the ballast (after all it works well for a minute).

Just wondering if you got past this. If anyone has been through this, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

#6 ·
unfortunately, no i have not. I had some other financial issues (mostly my car) and haven't gotten around to taking it in for service yet. Now that my car is up and running again it is next on my agenda (the 32 in tube i'm using as backup just doesn't cut it) and i will let you guys know what the problem is as soon as I find out.

#8 ·
Ok, so I had this issue. My Samsung HL-S4266W would come on for a minute or less and then shut off. I was nervous about replacing the bulb ($109) if the ballast or something else would be faulty. However, I had to start somewhere or just spend this money for a better TV. So, I bought a replacement bulb from Discount-Merchant d o t c o m & put into into the existing lamp housing. WA-LA, it has been working for a couple of weeks now and the picture is better than ever. I guess we don't notice the bulb degrading over time but I sure can tell it brighter. I also reset the bulb time counter by pressing MUTE-1-8-2-POWER on my remote (be careful in these menus, a wrong move here can be bad).

#9 ·
I am having the same problem. My tv is the same model (hls4266w) and from October 2006; I understand that I've gotten longer use than most from my lamp--we have logged MANY hours on that set:bigsmile:.

I have tried several suggestions of others on other threads in hopes of not spending anything (yeah, right), but it's still the same. I first vacuumed the inside really well (even though it really wasn't all that dusty), made sure the fan was working. Then, I removed the lamp & housing and repositioned (in hopes it was just loose), but still turns back off by 40 seconds (it usually goes dark first with the sound still on) & flashes as you mentioned.

I am getting ready to online-order the lamp and feel confident about the ease and my ability to change it, but as I mentioned am really concerned about this code-thing. I saw several posts about ppl who didn't do it right and had to take it in to a professional just to get them to do it. I can't afford to take it to a professional, and am pretty good at following directions. I think I can do this, it's this "code thing" that I'm not so sure about. If you could be a bit more specific, I'd appreciate it...(IE: someone mentioned to do it while the tv was off while someone else said it was in a menu area)...Please, as many details as you can!

I'm worried that I'll replace the lamp, then NOT reset the timer properly, then assume I need to spend more money on the ballast...Ugggh:wits-end:!! Thanks in advance!!

PS: Josh, did you ever get yours fixed?

#12 ·
I could kiss you right now!! LOL!! I received the new lamp (must've come in Saturday while out of town), replaced it in about 3 minutes----complete and utter ease!! Turned on the tv, nervously counted to 40 (b/c it had been shutting itself off by 40 at most)....and SHAZAAAAAM!! It stayed on!!

My boyfriend had been sitting on the sofa with his arms crossed, with this smart-alleck smirk the WHOLE time I was replacing the new lamp into the old housing. He insisted that it wasn't going to work because he---along with MANY other people---believed that it wouldn't work AT ALL if it was the lamp "lights burn out, completely"...he was DYING to say "I told you so" (he thought it was the ballast). I was cheering and jumping up and down when it stayed on. The picture looks even better than ever!

I feel so empowered fixing this myself!! GIRL POWER!!:jump:

You are :5stars: in my book!!:T

#14 ·
I'm having the same trouble with my Samsung TV too. I was given TV appx 8 months ago for nothing with #2 fan trouble. I replaced fan & the TV worked fine for a few months. Then had bulb trouble and replaced that. It worked fine for a few months. Now the TV goes on for a few seconds loses picture and then volume and then shuts down completely. Three lights blink, timer, lamp, stand by temp. I'm not sure if I should replace bulb again or look other places. Any help would be greatly appreciately as the cost of a new TV is not an option....

#15 · (Edited)
I have been trying to trouble shoot a Samsung HLS42x/xx for my mom.
Her initial symptoms were that the TV would occasionally shut off, so I had her order an OEM bulb. In the mean time the TV stopped coming on altegether. I replaced the bulb and the TV still did not come on. Of course when the TV shuts off (in the past) or now when you try to turn it on now all the little lights start blinking. (Timer/Bulb/etc)
I do not hear any whining or grinding noises. I do how ever her a beeping noise.

I have been following this thread and others,
I have checked the switch for the back cover, (I will bypass to see if that helps)
Re seated the lamp to make sure the connectors are contacting
I am going to check again and make sure the fan is coming on.

The Questions:

1)Is there more then one fan? OK found another potential answer to my question "I have visually observed both the fan on the back of the color wheel housing and the fan to the right of the lamp (looking at it from the back)"

Read more: Samsung HL-S4266W - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2) I have tried resetting the timer with the remote but with no picture how do you know if you are doing it right?
reset the bulb time counter by pressing MUTE-1-8-2-POWER on my remote

3) Should you power on or power off the TV with the remote before you try to reset the timer? (I have seen it posted both ways)

4) Is there anyway to check the Ballast? (I think I just found the answer to this question, Listen for the ballast firing. The sound is an intermittent ticking very fast. There is also likely a spark gap on the ballast that you will see arcing if you look. The ballast will not fire if the CW does not spin up to the right speed.)

Read more: samsung HL-s4266w - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5) Does the fan come on if the bulb does not start up?

6) Does anyone know what the beeping sound could be?

7) Is there a flow chart or sequence you can count on such as, "Fan turns on, then color wheel starts, then Ballast fires"
Thanks in advance
Stumpy

#16 ·
1) Yes, there are multiple fans.
2) Lamp timer on these sets do not keep them from running.
3) Entering the service mode has to be done from power off.
4) The answer you found is correct.
5) Not sure, but I think they do.
6) There is a chime sound from the speakers at power on/off that can be disabled in most samsung sets. Is this what you mean or are you hearing the ballast or a squeaky color wheel or fan?

#17 ·
I suggest starting a new thread for each new set and new problem. While many assume problems are the same because of similar symptoms, this is often not the case. Keeping threads separate makes it much easier to sort through problems later. When questions relate to the same model, it is approppriate to stay in one thread, but when there are discrete issues specific to a set, it is better to separate the threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.