Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know what could be wrong? My Tv works, it turns on, and you can watch it, except for the fact that both the right and left sides have about a distinct 4 inch wide strip from top to bottom. In these areas there are black horizontal and vertical lines making boxes boardered with black lines and the picture is more blurry then the rest of the screen. The rest of the screen is blurry also and just doesnt look right. My good old regular tube tv looks better at this point. They came and looked at it, but couldnt give me a correct answer on what it was. They mentioned the board or the processor but they really didnt know the guy was an idiot...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your light tunnel is likely collapsing. Very common on Samsung DLPs. Any tech who does much Samsung work should know about this. Post an image and I can likely confirm it visually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I have to have a few more post before I can put up images because I am a new forum member I remember seeing that when I signed up....the tech said it was the dmd board or dlp chip but after doing a few hours of research I dont have those symptoms at all. Since the extended warranty is now over service isnt free so now I have to hassle with this myself. I did a lot of complaining and it got me no where....I have an engineering degree and I am pretty tech savy so I am confident I can fix this myself since I have also found the service manual. So if you can confirm this diagnosis it would be greatly appreciated so I can watch tv normally again. I have also found this problem online that looks similar and it was the light tunnel.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I think I have to have a few more post before I can put up images because I am a new forum member I remember seeing that when I signed up....the tech said it was the dmd board or dlp chip but after doing a few hours of research I dont have those symptoms at all. Since the extended warranty is now over service isnt free so now I have to hassle with this myself. I did a lot of complaining and it got me no where....I have an engineering degree and I am pretty tech savy so I am confident I can fix this myself since I have also found the service manual. So if you can confirm this diagnosis it would be greatly appreciated so I can watch tv normally again
There is a post padding thread or you can just make a few more posts here to discuss the problem.

If you are patient, good with your hands and have a screwdriver you can likely fix it youself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure I can fix it I just want to make sure I know whats wrong without replacing part after part.Lol Yes I got a few good pics that show the areas on the left and right of the screen. It doesnt show how the screen is "blury" or the resolution is low. Hopefully the parts are cheap then I will be really lucky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What parts would I need if you believe its the "light tunnel" I havent found the light tunnel for my tv online I can find it for the hlr model but not the hls are they the same part?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Actually, that could be a DMD board or a digital board. Is it the same on all types of inputs? Are the menus affected?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its always there it never gets better or worse...its the same on all menus and all inputs..it showed up one day like a long time ago and it hasnt changed and I watch tv on it all day long..

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is hard to be sure. I would have to do some research and troubleshooting...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you could tell me what I need to do to trouble shoot im sure I can give it a try...let me know please...I will try and do my own research till I hear back...thanks
Kenny

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I cannot give you step by step instructions. It would require reviewing the service and training literature and evaluating the set. That kind of troubleshooting is beyond the scope of this forum and is usually impractical remotely.

Have you tried all types of signals and resolutions? That is the first thing that I would do. What about PIP?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your thread has been moved to the Samsung forum to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts