Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Samsung PN50A550 from Circuit City last year, and it started having a serious problem after only 7-8 months -- just in time for CC to go out of business. Each time I turn it on, it cycles on and off 3-6 times, screeching and flashing a green screen, then eventually stays on to work appropriately. Each cycle lasts about 15 seconds. I can't control the TV by remote or on-set controls while it is cycling. Seems like making a significant financial investment in a top rated HDTV should offer a better experience than this. There are scattered complaints about this across the internet, but I haven't seen any answers yet. Any ideas for repair/service/recourse for what seems to be a manufacturer's defect? Thanks a lot!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What do you have connected to it, what types of connections, and what other components?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was connected to an aerial HD antenna and PS3, both by HDMI cables. Last week we hooked up AT&T Uverse by HDMI. It didn't used to have this problem, and it started without making any cable changes. After the switch to Uverse, the problem persists.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like it could be HDMI compatability or handshake problems. Disconnect the HDMI and try component to see if it affects the problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disconnected everything except AT&T Uverse by HDMI to Samsunt HDTV. It's still cycling on and off, and screeching. I'm not sure what else to do, or what could be wrong with it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
730 Posts
how long of a warranty does this set have? samsung should stand behind it if you contact them. if you bought an extended warranty. the company circuit city uses should still be good. they always use a 3rd party. just need to contact them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mrstampe - Did you ever get this issue resolved? I've had my set for just under 2 years and this same exact issue has started with mine. I have not started tinkering with HDMI connections yet since I wanted to hear resolutions from those who had this issue first. Thanks.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Use something other than HDMI for a signal and see if that is the nature of the problem. If so, check for software updates. If not, the unit will likely need service.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That cycling/screeching problem went on for months, then completely resolved for a while, came back for 2 months, and is currently resolved. I didn't change any connections over this time period. I did back off to just one HDMI connection to Uverse at one point, but that didn't seem to matter. Sorry I still have no idea what is causing this problem. edub66, is yours a plasma or LCD? If you come across any solutions, please post! Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That cycling/screeching problem went on for months, then completely resolved for a while, came back for 2 months, and is currently resolved. I didn't change any connections over this time period. I did back off to just one HDMI connection to Uverse at one point, but that didn't seem to matter. Sorry I still have no idea what is causing this problem. edub66, is yours a plasma or LCD? If you come across any solutions, please post! Thanks.
So the foremost expert here suggests removing the HDMI cables and testing with a component cable and you haven't done that yet?? And that was in August.....

:blink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts