Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly moving down this path, but moving nevertheless, and this forum has been great. A few months ago I had my head on building one TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" mega sub for my music only stereo, posted the question here, got great feedback and ended up going after 2x12" Rythmik DIY kits. A couple months ago I asked for guidance for building the box and got great feedback too.

I should finally receive my Rythmik kits today and I'm after finalizing the box design.

I know it will be a 57 liter, sealed box, in 3/4" MDF + 5/8" veneered plywood. I'm wondering if it makes sense to build the 3/4" MDF inner box, and an external box with plywood, allowing for a space in between the two boxes (placing 3/4" spacers between the boxes). Then fill the void with sand. The purpose would be to make the box more inert. Sand is known to be good at killing vibrations...

Am I loosing it? :coocoo:

Cheers, and happy holidays!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
Are you going nuts? Probably not, because your idea is actually sound (no pun intended). But like Mike says, it does seem to be overkill for a 12" driver. You can certainly give it a go if you want to see how it performs, but it seems like your cabinet would be plenty stiff on it's own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input. OK, even if sound idea, it seems I'm overdoing it. Nothing wrong with going simpler!!

I'll build the first box, see how it behaves with vibrations, and decide how to proceed with #2.

Onto another question: the Rythmik plate amps are recommended to be used with line level inputs so to use the high pass filter in them. Additionally, I can see myself with at least one sub sitting far away from the pre and amp...needing long interconnects...to the sub and from it...

Maybe I build a sepárate box for the sub plate amps and place them by the pre and amp, and from them run a long speaker cable to each sub driver?

·
Registered
205 Posts
No No I don't think I would use sand (and I do use sand for speaker walls)

I think I'd stay away from the MDF - use BB 3/4" plywood with some clever bracing.
You'll thank the forum someday when you have to lift it.

Weight without stiffness adds resonance - I should know, I'm in the process of re-building all my mdf speaker out of ply.

Lined some of them with 1/8 cork (some with sand), the ply/cork/or sand speaker sound way better then the mdf counterparts and a of a light lighter.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts