Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Another one of those threads... Can folks sanity check this build for me before I pull the trigger?

Here’s what I want in a HTPC:
  • Play all of the 1080p Blu Ray movies I have ripped to my Home Server PC
  • Play any other personal videos I have taken that are stored on my Home Server PC
  • Access the internet to round out my ability to see movies and TV online (I have DirecTV and Vudu, but I know there are other options open to me like Hulu and YouTube)
  • Future-proof to some degree, as much as is possible

The parts:
  • SILVERSTONE Black 8.0mm aluminum front panel, 0.8mm SECC body GRANDIA GD04B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC $73.99
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z68M-D2H LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel $104.99
  • ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3 GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video (Already purchased from Amazon for $74)
  • Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power $34.99
  • Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics $51.99 from NewEgg, or $42 from Amazon (AntOnline seller for Amazon)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $29.99
  • SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support $51.99

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like the way you think.
I would personally go AMD CPU save some bucks and get a Blue ray burner, don't bother with more than 4gigs unless you are running 64bit Win7 and plan to use video editing or Photoshop otherwise 8 gigs is a waste of good hard drive funds. Do however consider a 64 gig or bigger Solid state OS drive!

G

·
I would get a larger power supply. I always go bigger then the minimum requirement. I used to get "what was needed" and they always seemed to fail early.

I also agree that AMD would save some cash. If all you care about is media and not gaming, it's pretty easy/cheap to get 1080p playback. I'm doing it from a all in one HTPC mobo from a few years ago. And the original power supply failed. :) Now I'm using one rated at 530watt.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good links, now that we are touching the software I will say my order of pref is WMC7, XBMC both have 1st try ease of use. Then J river MC for best technical audio video, JRMC auto loads the newest codecs and plays Bluray flawless out of the box plus no one has better DSP audio (you can pretty much just skip the AVR and go right to amps). JRMC needs a Nvidia card due to "MadVR" playback dependency.

Always use MyMovies for at least metadata. Media browser is good but requires tinkering. I also recommend AnyDVD HD and Handbrake. Check out the Zotac fanless NV GT430 on newegg I will be testing that one soon.

This post was a little off subject sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the way you think.
I would personally go AMD CPU save some bucks and get a Blue ray burner, don't bother with more than 4gigs unless you are running 64bit Win7 and plan to use video editing or Photoshop otherwise 8 gigs is a waste of good hard drive funds. Do however consider a 64 gig or bigger Solid state OS drive!
Thank you, Jasonpctech!

I went with the 8Gigs of memory because it was highly rated and only $30 with free shipping.

Also, I have a separate gaming rig with tons of hard drive space that I use to rip the Blu Ray movies I own. Then I copy the MKV files to my Home Server PC, which will serve up the files to the HTPC I will be building.

And, it was an Anandtech article, "Discrete HTPC GPU Shootout", (can't link it) that made me go for the discrete video card, specifically the nVidia 430.

I have since pulled the trigger since I first posted this, so, crossing fingers, I will let you know how it goes. :gulp:

Also, I think I like XBMC over WMC because of the skinning options.

EDIT: Oh, and I did read Assassin's post on building HTPC's. Great read!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, if my nVidia 430 video card is doing the play back of MKV files generated from Blu Ray disks I own, will I get true HD audio?

·
Registered
270 Posts
No, but you will get digital DTS or AC3 signals using "passthru" while transcoding. Handbrake allows compression, digital audio & .MKV packaging. I have seen HD audio on test tracks but not yet ripped, also it would lots of space. If someone is doing this I have not yet heard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would get a larger power supply. I always go bigger then the minimum requirement. I used to get "what was needed" and they always seemed to fail early.

I also agree that AMD would save some cash. If all you care about is media and not gaming, it's pretty easy/cheap to get 1080p playback. I'm doing it from a all in one HTPC mobo from a few years ago. And the original power supply failed. :) Now I'm using one rated at 530watt.
I am also one who gets a power supply that is rated larger than what is currently needed. Power supplies seem to be a weak link and a bigger one helps reduce the failure rate. Also a larger supply allows for expansion if the user desires to add a new feature that requires more power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts