Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mum is in late stages of a form of motor neuron disease. I've flown over to Adelaide (where she lives) from Sydney (where I live) because there is a good chance that she won't last until Christmas, and its such a horrible thing that I hope she doesn't - as quality of life is non-existent. I wont go into the details of it, as somehow it seems disrespectful.

I fly home on Tuesday and need to say farewell to her that morning. Please pray that the Lord counsels me with wise things to say, if anything.

I genuinely believe that she has a saving Christian faith, which comforts me a lot, but I'd like to make this prayer request that it also gives her comfort and reassurance in her last days, as she is naturally scared - and that the Lord will comfort her and also take her soon to end her suffering.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So sorry to hear about your mother, my prayers are going out for you & your mom now. It's nice that you can spend some quality time with her while your still able. I'm sure she just wants to know how much you love her and appreciate her. Maybe reliving some of the good times. God bless you.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mom billy, as Tonto said enjoy that time with your mom while she is stable.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mom' sickness.

“Prayer for Those in Their Last Agony”:

"O most merciful Jesus, Lover of souls, I pray Thee, by the agony of Thy most Sacred Heart, and by the sorrows of Thy Immaculate Mother, cleanse in Thine Own Blood the sinners of the whole world who are now in their agony and to die this day. Amen."

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That is unfortunate news of your mom billyo, yet your prayer request and understanding of her situation is admirable. I will be praying for you all.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
billyo: Bathe her in prayer and the Lord will hear you and provide peace to both of you. Look forward to the day when you will join her in Heaven where she will have no more pain, no more misery.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone - today I said farewell and said all of the things that I wanted to say. I'm back in Sydney now and cannot communicate easily to her due to the creeping paralysis affecting her vocal cords.

She doesnt feel as though she is good enough for heaven and terrified of going to Hell. She has trouble understanding God's forgiveness and grace but I think that finally she is grasping this mystery that is so simple but so profound at the same time, and doesnt yield to a scientific analysis.

We talked about how her being scared is normal and the irrelevance of this, and that Satan loves the lie of telling someone that they are 'not good enough for heaven'

We talked about Jesus' precious blood that guarantees salvation and that nothing anyone can do can overpower that blood and such that it fails to save.

Dear Lord, please give her peace and re-assurance of your Love in these last days or weeks. Please Lord, who is merciful and who wept over death but will make all things right, please let us be together again in paradise to look upon your beautiful face.

Please let her suffering be ended soon, she has run the race and now it is time for her to rest in your arms.

Amen.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My prayers are with you and your mom, God Bless.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Awesome! thats more than good enough. Rest assured that as long as her heart is with those words she will go to Heaven.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

This terrible disease will complete its course in the next few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corticobasal_degeneration

Watching mum lying there with eyes unable to focus or even close, completely paralysed and mucus gurgling in her throat, an oxygen feed just keeping her alive is breaking my heart. Cruelly, she is aware and can hear everything and just move her lips enough to mouth basic words that can very occasionally be lip read.

Please pray that the Lord will take her soon.

Please pray that she has finally found peace for her tormented soul.

Please pray that I can say words of comfort.

One of the troubles with this disease is its slow progression, I don't know how long I can stay in Adelaide (I live and work in Sydney). Although selfish, please pray for me that the decisions I make all work out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I am praying that your mom will find peace in her heart and that the good lord will end her suffering and bring her home with him. God Bless you and your mom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only "wisdom" I can offer... just be your normal loving self. Don't be different or better than usual... maybe more understanding and try not to be sad... she'll sense that. Just love her... that's what she needs.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the tough time you and your loved one are going thru,you will both be in my thoughts and prayers.stay strong friend.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I know that it will be difficult, but if possible be there when she passes. I was in the hospital room when both of my parents died and I will always remember the final goodbye as they each passed from this world into the arms of Jesus.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mum has deteriorated horribly today and I just couldn't bear it anymore - she has not responded to anyone for the last 6 or more hours. I've read some Psalms, some parts of the Gospels and the end of Revelation, prayed over her and asked the Lord to take care of her for me. I've talked about the new heaven and the new earth and the new body that she will have that will work properly.

Then I've left her, as I'm exhausted and watching her unconscious, slackjawed face, milky blind eyes and struggling, irregular breathing is too horrifying for me. My dad and possibly one of my sisters will stay with her tonight, so she won't be alone. She has been surrounded all day by people dropping in and even hard-bitten medical staff making special trips to pay their respects. She knows that she is loved deeply by a lot of people and I think that this is something that will transcend her death in an amazing way.

One good thing is that when I got back to their home, a message was on the answering machine from one of mum's friends from when they were 5 years old - they wanted to visit tomorrow. They didn't leave a phone number, but I flicked through the address book next to the phone and found their number and called them back and gave them dad's mobile number for them to call tonight and say their farewells, as tomorrow will likely be too late.

I called my wife in Sydney and talked for ages; I so badly miss my own family. I didn't expect that I would be receiving the news all alone... Lord Jesus, please comfort me when the time comes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mum just died.

Num6:24-26
“‘“The Lord bless you
and keep you;

25 the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;

26 the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”

Rest in peace mum, I love you always :kiss:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some things are a challenge to deal with. Other things are just really hard. This one is very hard indeed. I'm sorry for your loss... but I know your mother is in a far better place. And you can bet she's smiling down upon you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts