Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 6-7 months I've been reading up and getting all the data. My needs/wants/limitations keep changing.... but with the " or get off the pot" message growing in the back of my head, its time for action!

So far I have confused myself quite a bit. I read something that always conflicts what I have settled on.

I know 100% at this time that the heart of the system is going to be an Onkyo Receiver.

Right now I'm leaning towards the SR507. I was originally looking SR707, but the 507 gives me more room in the budget for speakers, and doesn't give me a bunch of things I don't need or have room for (streaming internet radio, 7 channels, the 507 fits in my entertainment center... the THX don't make the difference I thought it would... in fact I don't like it)

Speakers, well until today I didn't do any listening. But I went into my local Visions store (I'm from Edmonton, Alberta) and did some blind tests with the wife.

I was really impressed by the KEF C1 and Soundstage 3D1's for book shelves (I'm not allowed to have towers... it messes with the looks of the room...)

The KEF's were brighter and clearer. But seemed quieter and lacked the fullness of the 3D1's. I'm torn between the two. The 10" sub offerings from both brands also seemed to be my favourites.

I also need to get a DVD player as mine will be leaving with the HTIB I have and my wife and I both really don't want to use the PS3 or Xbox360 for playing DVD's. She is only letting me go away from the HTIB's as long as I can get her a multi-dvd changer. So the 6 disc Onkyo seems to be the one to go with.

So 4 HDMI inputs. Pace HD Cable DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, and the Onkyo 6disc DVD are my inputs.

The only thing thats driving me insane is speakers... My budget is low. Like $1500 CAD low. I could go part by part and upgrade that way with the rear speakers being last. (I would go: receiver + dvd then sub, then front 3, then back two) and this way I can put more money into it.

Or just get it all at once!

I do live in a multi-unit dwelling, (a coach home, so a walkup condo with neighboors upstairs, behind, and beside) so I need good low volume support. Which the 507 and the Soundstage setup has. but the KEF's really sound good at mid-volume (which is where I play games and we watch the primetime shows and sports)

I want to be able to listen to the speakers before buying, and I would rather buy from a store than an online retailer.

Please give me some suggestions. I wanna be rid of the LG within the month. (it's starting to die on me with only giving power to the fronts for a few seconds, not to mention not having enough inputs!)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome to the Shack from another Edmontonian.
I know you dont like THX but once you have it you wont want to be without it as it comes with some really useful surround modes.
The 507 also does not come with decent auto room correction, it only does HDMI passthrough and no pre outs meaning that down the road you wont be able to use an external amp to power your main speakers to release the receiver of its load as the 507 is a bit underpowered. The 707 or 706 would be a much better choice.
Have a look at this post for some other options.
Have you looked here as they have really good prices on Onkyo receivers and they are in Canada.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Being in Canada, it is more difficult to have a feel for what is possible with your budget. Tony is from Canada and hopefully will chime in as well.

The TX-SR507 is the entry level model. I am not sure if refurbished Onkyo's are available in Canada, but the TX-SR706 is available for 429 USD from Accessories4less and is such a better model. Things like having the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ, THX Processing, and a more powerful amplifier section are not trivial things and make a major impact.

Having a more powerful amplifier section actually helps you at lower volume levels. That was actually the first thing I noticed when stepping up to very high powered outboard amplifiers. However, the same was true when using a more powerful amplifier section in an AVR.

I would seriously look at Paradigm and PSB as they are both Canadian Companies and make fantastic Speakers. Especially for the money. Don't be afraid to look at used Speakers. Just listen to them before buying or have a money back guarantee.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
As I hope Tony will chime in my past post, he is chiming in as I am composing my post. Outstanding.
I will say you can't win to lose as far as your Wife forbidding Tower Speakers and the reality of having Neighbors all around you which makes using a Subwoofer problematic. With Towers, you really can get away with not having a Subwoofer far easier than with Bookshelves which almost require it.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thanks Jack, :T

LK You also have the option to buy SVS speakers from there Canadian distributor Sonic Boom Audio in Toronto. SVS makes some of the best speakers and subs for the money. They also do not sell in stores so you save lots of money avoiding the middle man.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
This just looks like a frustrating situation in that it really is the prefect time to use Towers and not use a Subwoofer due to the neighbor situation.

An SVS PB-10NSD will shake the entire House and will probably cause many unhappy Neighbors whereas a quality Tower like PSB T55's would provide enough bass without shaking all of other Neighbors abode's.

I really think you might want to have a conversation with your Wife about the need to use Towers and forego a Subwoofer for the sake of Neighbor relations while still getting a satisfying HT experience. Using Bookshelves that only play down to 80 Hz and no Subwoofer would really cause you to miss out on a great deal.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Jack is giving good advice and I know all this information is a bit overwhelming but feel free to ask questions and we will see what we can come up with. London Drugs is a good place to look at for Onkyo and recently had a great price on several Onkyo receivers.
Visions electronics are a bit pushy for sales and there staff dont really know a whole lot. Futureshop is Ok and so are BestBuy. Futureshop caries a good selection of speakers and as Jack said PSB and Paradigm are good Canadian brands I also like Klipsh speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the plentiful replies.

I can get some pretty decent deals on Onkyo gear through a pro shop that my company deals with, and was going to go through them for the receiver anyways. The quote I got on my original idea of the 7200 HTIB system Onkyo produces was well bellow any advertised price, boxing week or otherwise.

The 707 is probably what I will go with if the 507 just can't keep up. And the higher headroom makes a lot of sense, being a guitar player you'd think I know of that due to more watts equal more clean volume.

Tony from my research, the 507 is a repeater enabled receiver and not pass-through only. (source: Onkyo.ca) Or am I getting confused with something else?

The reason why I'm not allowed to go towers is because of the fact that the one speaker will be directly in front of the window and clearly visible from a major, high volume street, not to mention the low-income housing across the street. So its more of a safety issue than anything (our condo is actually very well kept with amazing residents) Reason number 2 is that they take up a lot of room and throw off the balance of the room. My wife is a "beauty" over function girl 10x over. Which can have really negative effects on things from time to time.

I bought a pair of cheapo towers (Missile $70) from XS Cargo to setup in my hobby room for my vinyl setup, and decided to put those out by the TV one night and I almost lost my head... thats a lost battle. But it did take up a lot of room, and they really are not that big compared to some of the other stuff out there.

The subwoofer I have right now with the LG, and the subwoofer I use with my vinyl system (ancient, but still sounds good) do not bug the neighbours as I do ask them regularly on the sound levels in the house. I've only gotten the "wall knock" once, and that was because we were having a party and cranking the rock band to the limits of the LG system! :) It has been pretty loud of "24" night and some movies.

So yes, while a sub can make issues with neighbours, our sound isolation in this place is not too bad, and is even better that we are on the bottom floor.

As for the SVS speakers, I really wanna listen to them first before buying. I really hate buying online....

Visions here seem to be pretty good. I bought my last two TVs and the current home theater from them. I can usually negotiate a good deal, and when I ask for space I usually get it. Strange for the chain, but it keeps me coming back.

My room is very strange... it has only two full walls and a short half wall. I've tried to move things around, but in all honesty it just does not work in any configuration that we have been able to come up with. And this is whats limiting me for component size issues.

Even the way the TV stand is built, it is about 1" too short according to the Onkyo manuals to fit a 707. Even then it only has 3/8" clearance for a 507... But I'm hoping I can take the legs off the 707 without castrating the air flow if I choose to go 707.

farm5 . static . flickr . com / 4055 / 4389296396_716e2b4366 . jpg

The most I could spend on book shelves would be $350 a pair...

What about a Yorkville Sound sub? Has anyone tried one? (YS S2)

Paradigm Cinema 70 series is intriging, the specs are decent, and if the price is good too, I'll have to go take a listen. The local dealer ain't that far away either.

What about the Focal Chorus 705's? I cant find a price on them that isn't outdated...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Personally I love shopping for speakers and I pop in to several of the higher end boutique stores National music, Audio Ark, Premiere audio just to name a few.
I will say even though you cant listen to SVS speakers I can guarantee you wont find a better sounding speaker for the money.
regarding the 507, Repeater and pass-through are the same thing. The signal that it receives is untouched and does not get upconverted or altered. So if your sending a 480i signal thats what will get to your display even if its going through the receiver.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The C1's really? I've not had the chance to give them a listen.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-80w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Home-Theater-Surround/1.html

Is my suggested receiver for anyone looking at making the move from HTIB. Given Onkyo's troubles with fires I avoid them. It's not a bad brand, but the 500 series would be a tad below my suggestions.

For speakers I recommend the Behringer 2030p's and the Dayton 12" sub. The 2030p's come in pairs, but are great value. They offer excellent build quality

The next thing you may look at are the Infinity Primus series. They use one of the best midrange drivers in the world.
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=kef&x=0&y=0

For Kef the above link has the best deals I've found. The Iq series is very good.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Given Onkyo's troubles with fires I avoid them.
lsiberian, Please dont start fear mongering. That report has been floating around the internet for several years and is unfounded. There are at least 50 members of the Shack who own Onkyo receivers I myself own the one in question and have never reported any such issue. Receivers get hot if they are placed in a confined area and is standard for any receiver in that class.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I have recommended and used Onkyo's for years and honestly believe the "fire issues" to be hyperbole.
This has been discussed greatly on other Forums with no real evidence of this happening. Rather, some Onkyo's do run hot and people inclined to dislike them fan the flames of potential fire hazards.

The Onkyo's that do run hotter are the 805,875,905, 876, 906, 3007, and 5007. And I have never seen actual evidence of them catching fire.

With the SVS's you do get a demo/return period so if you are not happy with them, they can be easily returned.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have recommended and used Onkyo's for years and honestly believe the "fire issues" to be hyperbole.
Issues usually are hyperbole. I will say the Onkyo 705 was a great receiver and far better than what I now own. The Marantz deals provide a great value right now though.

I'm betting the folks that had the issues left them in a very tight shelf. Which will kill any receiver.

If you can get a 705 it would be a great receiver. It had 8 point Auddysey XT and a powerful amp section.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I agree that the the x05 Series were actually the pinnacle of Onkyo's HDMI 1.3 offerings. Couple the products being produced in Japan and the 805 and the 705 and both offering MultEQ XT. Moreover, the 805 offered the same DAC's and amplifier section as the 1800 Dollar 875. I truly believe the TX-SR805 to be the best AVR value in modern history. I did not realize that the 705 also offered MultEQ XT. I know that the 700 Series since has only offered MultEQ

I agree that leaving a hot running AVR in an enclosed space is a recipe for disaster
Cheers,
JJ.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
see now this is where I'm getting concerned... the way I would have the 707 in my stand would be with the feet off and it having 3/8" clearance at the top (if im lucky)

this seems like no where near enough room. There would be 3-4" of space behind the unit (in theory)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It does not matter what brand of receiver you buy You have to give it space to breath as heat is the number one killer of electronics.
Receivers need airflow from bottom to top as they do not have much venting on the sides or the front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does not matter what brand of receiver you buy You have to give it space to breath as heat is the number one killer of electronics.
Receivers need airflow from bottom to top as they do not have much venting on the sides or the front.
Exactly why I think the 507 is the way to go at this time. I still feel like I should do whatever I can to find a way to make hte 707 work tho.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The 707 does not run nearly as hot as the much higher powered 805, 875, 876, 905, 906, 3007, and 5007.
These were the AVR's I specifically pointed out as running hotter. This is due to the Dual Push Pull 3 Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry in the specified Models. This is why these Models output huge amounts of power. The TX-SR706 does not feature this Amplifier Section.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so based on the need for ventilation I'm starting to rethink things...and actually didn't realize things were as tight as I originally thought...

I have 6" of vertical room to work with for a receiver. I still wanna stay with onkyo for the features / money ratio they deliver. But working with that limited room

Onkyo HT-S9100THX (its their top of the line HTIB setup, but seems pretty killer for the $$)
Onkyo SR507

The 507 will have the most clearance by a lil more than an 1" but the S9100THX unit will have a very small fraction of an inch above it, but will still have the feet for lower room.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well in either case your really pinching off the airflow. Are the shelves removable? can you replace with wire or something with holes in it for better airflow?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts