Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK... I have the 1124p hooked up to my computer. The analog output of the new digital RS SPL meter is plugged into the RCA Auxillary 2 input (on the front of the computer) of the Creative Audigy 2 Platinum sound card. The ouput (line out on the back of the computer) is directly hooked up to the input of the BFD. I successfully set the measurement level (75dB at -38), but am having difficult setting the input level. The Creative Sound Mixer seems to be correctly set up since when I adjust the input volume on REW the Auxillary volume on the Creative Sound Mixer changes accordingly. The problem is that as the Pink Noise plays at 75dB (according to the SPL meter) when going through the "Set Input Volume" menu, the RMS is around 90dB and will only go as low as 85dB. Nothing I do changes that. What am I doing wrong? Please help!!!!!!!!!! I've gone through every thread on this site and this is the first dealing with this specific sound card. I've applied what I could from the others, particularly those dealing with other Creative sound cards, but none address my specific problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Not sure if that card is like the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum? On that unit need the mixer set up more or less like the image below, also need to ensure "Record Withut Monitoring" is selected in the record Advanced Controls (accesses by clicking the red "+" symbol). If your mixer doesn't look like this, post a screen shot of it showing the current settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The SB Audigy 2 Platinum Surround Mixer is very simlar. I'm at work, though, so I won't be able to try anything until tonight. Mine is set up the same way except the master control volume is at 50%, and the far right source colum is Auxillary 2. I also have the Wave at 100% and unmuted. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the Auxillary 2 source muted or not, and very little change occurs when the Auxillary 2 source volume is slid (with the exception of when it at 0). Auxillary 2 is also in the REC section, and that is the one that is controlled by the input volume in REW. The interesting thing is I don't have a red plus above the symbol above the volume slider in the REC section and I didn't find the Analog Mix label when playing with mixer last night... then again I wasn't sure where to look for it. I'll take a look tonight to see if I can emulate your image... except I'll have the Auxillary 2 Source unmuted (instead of line in) and see about changing slider in the REC section to Analog Mix. Hopefully that will work, and hopefully the red plus symbol will be there. If that doesn't work, I'll try using the Line-In jack at the back of the computer. The reason why I'm using the Auxillary 2 in is I already have the cable for it. If I go with the line in jack I'll need to make a run to buy another cable... not a big deal, just annoying. One would think it wouldn't matter if I use the line in on the back or the RCA Auxillary 2 in on the front, but maybe it just doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
the far right source colum is Auxillary 2. It doesn't seem to matter if I have that muted or not, and very little change occurs when the volume is slid other than when it is at 0. Auxillary 2 is also in the REC section, and that is the one that is controlled by the input volume in REW. The interesting thing is I don't have a red plus above the symbol in the REC section, and I couldn't find the Analog Mix... but I wasn't sure where to look for it.
I guess you're using the AD_EXT cable connection on the card to the front panel drive bay units' Auxillary 2 input (left or right) as shown with the arrow below? I guess I'm wondering if REW is handling that input the same as it would the rear stereo LINE_IN connector.

Text

If you are using a 3.5mm (1/8" mono) plug from your SPL meter into one of the left or right Auxillary 2 inputs, then a simple adapter to convert it to stereo (as shown below) is all you need to use the rear LINE_IN connector.

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
brucek... you are exactly right. I'm using a 1/8" mono plug -> dual RCA wire. I plugged one of the RCA plugs into the right input on the front bay and left the other dangling. I have an old 3' wire with 1/8" plugs on each end... it's a little short, but I'll try using it to go between the RS SPL meter and the line in on the back of the computer and see what happens. Maybe the sound card uses the inputs differently :scratchhead:.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I have an old 3' wire with 1/8" plugs on each end... it's a little short, but I'll try using it to go between the RS SPL meter and the line in on the back of the computer and see what happens.
Yep, as long as the plug you use into the LINE_IN jack is stereo and you use one side (channel) only of the plug, then you should be good. Others have used this card with success, so I don't see a problem when you use LINE_IN....

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cable I have is male 1/8" mono to male 1/8" mono so that won't work. Whick means I'll need to get an adapter to be able to use either of my cables... so that means I'll get a female 1/8" mono -> male 1/8" stereo cable (to add to the male 1/8" mono -> male 1/8" mono cable) or a female RCA mono -> male 1/8" mono cable (to add to the male 1/8" mono -> male RCA stereo cable). I think the latter will be easier to get... but I'll get whatever is cheaper.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The cable I have is male 1/8" mono to male 1/8" mono so that won't work
That's right. The LINE_IN is a stereo jack and as such requires a stereo plug (to avoid a short), even though you'll only use one side for REW.

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more question. The cable that plugs into the RS digital SPL meter has a 1/8" male plug, right? That's what I used last night and it seemed to fit properly. The reason why I ask is the photos in the help menu show a single phono (RCA) plug going into the SPL meter, but the receptacle looks nothing like a female RCA jack.

And, just to clarify, I have a male 1/8" mono to male 1/8" mono cable. If I plug one end into the RS SPL meter, the other end should go into the female end of a male 1/8" mono to female 1/8" stereo adapter... basically a Y-adapter with one male 1/8" plug on one end (which goes into the LINE_IN on the sound card) and two female 1/8" plugs on the other end (one of which will accept the male 1/8" male end of the wire coming from the SPL meter). This would be simple, but my cable is short, so it isn't my first choide.

Another option would be to use the 3' male 1/8" mono to stereo female RCA cable I used last night with the 1/8" end plugged into the sound card. I'd also use the 3' male 1/8" mono to male 1/8" mono cable previously discussed and have one end plugged into the SPL meter. This way there would be one male 1/8" mono plug on the free end of the wire coming from the SPL meter and two female RCA plugs on the free end of the wire coming from the sound card. This means I would then have to get an adapter with a female 1/8" plug on one end and a female RCA on the other. The upshot is a stereo adapter would leave the soundcard and a mono wire would leave the SPL meter. This would work better for me since the combined length is 6' and not 3'.

Would any or both of these options work?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The cable that plugs into the RS digital SPL meter has a 1/8" male plug, right?
No, that's an RCA jack on the RS meter.

Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Audio equipment

You simply need to go from RCA at the SPL meter end to a stereo male 1/8" plug at the soundcard end (but you only use one of the left or right channels of the stereo plug).

Some people simply use an RCA cable plugged into one side of the the adapter shown below - note it's stereo:

I'm not a fan of that adapter since it's kinda heavy. I just made my own cable with an RCA to 1/8" stereo plug with one channel used.

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you... kind of makes me feel like a dumb ***. Single RCA to stereo 1/8". Piece of cake!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK... I'm at home and have made some adjustments. I bought a 6' cable with a stereo 1/8" male jack at one end and dual RCA male jacks at the other. Perfect. So now the red RCA male is plugged into the SPL meter LINE-OUT and the stereo 1/8" male is plugged into the LINE_IN on the back of the computer. The white RCA male end is dangling. I also have a stereo 1/8" male plugged into the LINE_OUT on the back of the computer it's red RCA is connected via an RCA->XLR cable directly into the BFD XLR in. So, I beleive the wiring is straight.

On to the software. The Surround Mixer has been set exactly as the one attached to post #2 except for two differences. The master volume is at 50% and the LINE_IN is muted. The reason for volume being set at that level is the measurement level was set based on it beingat 51%. As for the LINE_IN being muted a horribly loud (I mean VERY loud) hum went through the sub when I un-muted it.

Now onto REW. The device for input and output is set as the SB Audigy 2 audio. The input itself is set as LINE_IN and the ouput itself is set as SPEAKER.

With all that done, the "dB SPL" is -17.3dB, the "Peak" flucutates around -90dB and the "RMS" fluctuates around 103-104dB.

Is this what I want?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
After making some adjustments, I think I'm doing better.

Master Volume is at 50% and unmuted.
Source Wave is at 100% and unmuted.
Source MIDI synth is at 0% but muted.
Souce CD Audio is at 0% but muted.
Source Line-In is at 100% and unmuted.
Source Line-in 2/Mic 2 is at 0% but muted.
Souce Microphone is at 0% but muted.
Rec Analog Mix is at 51% and Record without Monitoring is selected.

REW is set up as before... the device for input and output is set as the SB Audigy 2 audio. The input itself is set as LINE_IN and the ouput itself is set as SPEAKER.

With the Surround Mixer and REW set up as above, the "dB SPL" fluctuates in the upper 40dBs, the "Peak" fluctuates in the low -30dBs and the "RMS" fluctuates around the upper -30dBs.

But, when I press "SET INPUT VOLUME" and go through the menus and the 75dB pink noise plays, the "dB SPL" fluctuates around 65 dBs, the "Peak" fluctuates around -10dB and the "RMS" fluctuates around -18dB!!!

For whatever reason the horrible feedback is gone... and I have no idea why. Hmm.

I'm doing a lot better :). In order to stop the 75dB playback, I have to hit the "SET INPUT VOLUME" button agian, and then hit cancel, but then the "SET INPUT VOLUME" button stays red. What do I do to make it so it turns black?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
In order to stop the 75dB playback, I have to hit the "SET INPUT VOLUME" button agian, and then hit cancel, but then the "SET INPUT VOLUME" button stays red. What do I do to make it so it turns black?
Mmm, haven't heard that specific problem before, but there have been a few people that had some strange problems depending on the soundcard.

Usually we don't send the output to the BFD, rather feed the AV receiver instead. This allows the volume control on the receiver to be used in the setup (much easier) and the crossover in the receiver to be used. (note since you are feeding the BFD directly, it is full volume to the sub until the volume on the soundcard is turned down..hummmmmmmmmmm.)
Use the AUX or CD input of the receiver. Many people will use a RCA Y-splitter at the receiver so both left and right mains can be used when they are brought into play to check crossover interaction. Normally the mains speakers are shut off though to set the BFD filters on the sub first.

Once REW is hooked up and ready to go, there is an order that should be followed to get REW setup properly.
Roughly it's this (don't know if this is the order you were using):

Hook up cables - start REW - ensure meter cal and **soundcard cal loaded. - select SUB tab - set cutoff frequency (i.e. 80hz)

1. Set Measurement Level.
2. Set Input Volume.
3.Calibrate SPL reading.
4. ** (if not previously done with a soundcardcal file in place) Calibrate the Soundcard here.
5. Set Target Level
6. Automatic Measurement.
7. Find Peaks
8. Assign Filters
9. Optimize Gain & Q.

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you totally about running the BFD through the receiver 1st. It just makes sense... but I was told not to so I took the advice of this forum. I'll have to revisit that thought. It just makes sense to do it through the receiver with the mains crossed over to the sub, take out the mains, calibrate, then add them back and make any subtle adjustements necessary.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've searched the forum and can't find the post. Maybe it was in another forum. I swear I was told it, though.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Well, I guess if you were just equalizing a sub by itself without mains it could be done that way, but when you use mains, you really need the crossover. The volume control on the receiver is very handy also in the setup.

You'll have to post some graphs when you get some results..... :)

brucek

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll get it going. It's kind of embarassing having so many difficulties with something so simple.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. I'm really annoyed. I rewired it so the stereo cable coming from the LINE_OUT on the back of the computer is plugged into the CD IN on the integrated, kept the front R&L speakers set as small (so they cross over to the sub at 80Hz) but unplugged them, reset the measurement level to 75dB and tried to set the Input Volume... but I'm having the same problem. When the 75dB pink noise plays and I have it set up as described above (except the Rec Analog Mix is at 67%) the "dB SPL" fluctuates around 67 dBs, the "Peak" fluctuates around -8dB and the "RMS" fluctuates around -18dB. Good news, except the pink noise keeps playing and there's nothing to do to say OK everything is set. The only way to stop the noise is to press Set Input Volume again. And, just as last night, it restarts the same process. The Set Input Volume butten stays red... I don't know what to do to move on. Can anyone help me?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts