Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Okay, first off, I am an internet nerd. So I do know the correct method is to try and find your answer on your own. I'll be honest, I have not searched as much as I could have. BUT I am searching everywhere, on many forums, on all the craigslists and ebays, everywhere.

And I'm running out of time.

So my theatre company needs your help and wisdom.

Let me give you the setup. We have to have projections in our next show. It will be rear projection. With about 8 feet of distance from the screen to the projector. Give or take. Regular old DLP projector. So whatever that size would be, I figure around a 5x5 or 6x6 footer. Whatever it is, it will work.

Now the area behind the screen will be dark. No lights. Also this all takes place in an alcove, so it will look like this:

Projector = P
Curtains = C
Alcove Wall = W
Screen = S

P
C C
C C
C C
C C
W SSSSSSSSSSS W
W W

Okay. Now, here are the stipulations. Gotta be cheap. We are a fringe theatre company, and have very very little in terms of a budget.

Has to be fireproof, or fire resistant. This is a public venue.

And again, has to be rear projection.

I think that's all the stipulations.

So, please please please someone out there with the know-how and experience, can you help us out? Time is a tickin' and your genius is what we need!

thanks everyone, really, can't thank you enough!

Bri

I can't post links, but our name is Science Fiction Theatre Company, surround that with some w's and a dot you-know-what and that's us. Just in case you're interested.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I didn't know there was required reading before asking questions. If everybody waits until they have the answer before asking a question..., nobody will be asking. We might be better off reading movie and equipment reviews.

Fortunately there are some who have traveled this way before you and some have an answer for your questions and some of them will immediately want to tell you all about their experiences and knowledge. I am sorry to waste your time..., I do not have an answer to your question. But hang-on somebody will be with you shortly.

If not quick enough. Go to the home-page and look in the column on the left. You may find a thread that lists your question and should contain an answer. Or, try re-listing your question there.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Enigma,

Welcome to HTS. I'm sure this'll work for you. :T

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Have you tried a light weight spandex material from a local fabric store? Even if that doesn't work, the local fabric store would be the place to look. Make sure you ask one of their knowledgeable employees. They should be able to steer you right.

Welcome to HTS. :T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I figure I am between the local fabric store to find some type of polyester/cotton and spandex cloth -or- the Dazian Trapeze Plus.

So for one more round of questions:

Polyester or cotton? I will also have to fireproof it, but there seems to be sprays you can buy.

Does anyone have experience with the two. Is one much better than the other, or relatively close?

(acoustics doesn't matter)

And does a grey color make a big difference? I have an Infocus X1 projector, I think rated 1100 lumens. So ok, but not super high powered. Would a color fabric take away too much light?

Again, thank you all I can move onto some other stuff I have to do for the show! And there is a LOT to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure about the fireproofness of these suggestions, how much money is too much for you, or what kind of quality you need, but these are the cheapest ways I have found to get a quality bright rear projection image.

You can purchase actual professional rear projection screen material for about 4.50 a sq ft from Proscreens. google it.

Another way is using fuax frosted vinyl on polycarbonate or glass. The faux frosted vinyl costs about 2.20 a sq ft. + base. I have only used this method on hard substrate , but you should be able to apply it to a thinner plastic that you can roll up if needed. Does take some practice to lay the vinyl down

Hope this helps, if not good luck

By the way I checked out your website. Sounds like a An interesting and fun show. Wish we had a sci-fi theater act out here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bit confused by the position of the projector.

its placed behind curtains?? Is the projector really off axis this much?

Maybe a thin sheet of Sintra board would work for you.

Also the size constraints seem so small that I think for the venue you are looking at I would actually recommend a sharp 70" tv flat panel.

I knew I would recommend a tv one day. Got to mark this on my calendar.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you need a rear projection screen (read, REAL screen material) that is already fireproof and relatively inexpensive... Everyone forgot to mention to check with RoseBrand...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts