Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most go with a fabric, however, I would like to use a decrotive trim around my screen - make it look almost as nice when not in use as it does while in use. I'm thinking that paint is the only option to get around the curves and such or the trim I would like to use. So, what if any suggestions do we have for black paint. Will any basic flat black work? Am I wasting time and money? Anyone think that chalk board paint may be the best route?

Thanks
-KB

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
What about doing a frame within a frame? Put a narrow black velvet frame within a decorative frame, painted or stained to match your decor. I've seen this a lot. I'll see if I can drum up a picture before I head out to the lake.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Well I don't have as much time as I thought. If you look at the dnp Supernova sample I had though, it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Silver frame with a narrow inner black border. Also Elite's Silver Frame:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had not thought about that... Not a bad solution! - Thanks Mech

Was there any reflection issues from the outer frame?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Had not thought about that... Not a bad solution! - Thanks Mech

Was there any reflection issues from the outer frame?
No. As long as the image isn't hitting the outer frame, you should be just fine! :T Time to head to the lake. See you Monday. :wave:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Just to throw my $0.02 in, one of the reasons black fabric is so much darker and light-absorbing than black paint is that it is way thicker than any black paint so there is more of it to absorb light. Paint is very thin relative to fabric and can't suck up near as much light. Black paint is a poor second to black fabric for borders.

Something I have seen relatively little mention about (but that could just be me) is flocking. Flocking wouldn't absorb as much light as a real fabric like velvet, but it would do a better job than paint.

Basically, flock is a powder made from fabric (it comes in a number of colors). To use it you paint a type of glue onto whatever you want to flock and then shake the flocking powder onto the sticky surface. The applicator reminds me a lot of a large salt shaker. Flocking may be a way to get a better black border without the need to mess with cutting, wrapping and stapling fabric.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=288&ProductID=127115

1 - 8 of 8 Posts