Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am setting up a home theater in the basement and was looking around the site for a good design to build a 110" 16 x 9 screen. I would also like to make a masking system either removable or mechanical. I have read some people using the pink foam board but ideally would like to have a mechanical version so I have more flexibility for different aspect ratios. Any links to some good builds would be appreciated as well as some detailed instructions. I am pretty handy but would like this to look as nice as possible. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will keep you posted if I figure it out. I work in the window business and was thinking of attaching the screen using screen spline. Have you ever heard of people having any luck with that? Thanks

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I will keep you posted if I figure it out. I work in the window business and was thinking of attaching the screen using screen spline. Have you ever heard of people having any luck with that? Thanks
Yes I have seen that used before. :T I believe they used the heavier gauge (?) spline if that helps. And I believe wbasset has done some experimenting with it as well. He should chime in soon. :T

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am setting up a home theater in the basement and was looking around the site for a good design to build a 110" 16 x 9 screen. I would also like to make a masking system either removable or mechanical. I have read some people using the pink foam board but ideally would like to have a mechanical version so I have more flexibility for different aspect ratios. Any links to some good builds would be appreciated as well as some detailed instructions. I am pretty handy but would like this to look as nice as possible. Thanks for the help in advance.
Posts #5 & #6. www.hometheatershack.com/forums/projector-screens-diy-screens/21538-converting-106-elunevision-screen-screen.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help, for the time being I made my 110" fixed screen with seperate outside frame and will adapt my masking system to it. I did attach the screen with the spline from a window screen and it worked out great. It passed the WAF as well because she sent and email to me saying she was not at all excited about having a screen compared to the wall untill we watched a movie on it last night and she was letting me know that she was bragging to her friend how nice it looked!! Now to the masking system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
idea for the masking
have you ever looked at how a stewart masking screen operates? they are incrediblely simple

basically they have a spindle at the top which the material rolls onto and off of
a metal spindle / black out material / stepper motor with a stop and your golden

I have one of the stewart auto masking screens, if your interested let me know and I could shot some pics of the mechanism for you if interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
idea for the masking
have you ever looked at how a stewart masking screen operates? they are incrediblely simple

basically they have a spindle at the top which the material rolls onto and off of
a metal spindle / black out material / stepper motor with a stop and your golden

I have one of the stewart auto masking screens, if your interested let me know and I could shot some pics of the mechanism for you if interested
I could use the pics if you would put them up. The screen has been great so far and would like to see how that system works. Thanks in advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts