Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been researching screens for a HT for a couple of weeks. Need some help deciding on which screen choice to go with.

Details of my HT:

Room size: 15'x17' - Dedicated with closing doors
Seating distance: 12' - will be 1 row only, possible bean bags on the floor closer than 12'
Paint: Dark Brown walls, flat dark brown ceiling
Carpet: Dark Brown
Light: One 4'x6' window will be controlled with blinds and curtains
Estimated Usage: Movies (30%), Sports (20%), General TV (30%), Gaming (20%) - could change once HT is done though!
Most sports would be watched with some lighting, dimmable recessed lights or rope lighting.
PJ: Panny AE4000U ceiling mounted 12'
Screen size: Planning 100" - 106" 16:9

Not at all afraid of DIY anything, I'll always try something new! I have looked at all of the laminate and painting options. If I go with paint it will have to be a laminate cause I can't paint the wall due to some structure issues interfering with the screen area.

Need to know:
What color Screen? White or grey?
What screen? DIY laminate, paint or buy a screen?

Carada, Elite, Da-lite seem to be pretty decent purchasing choices.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Nick!! :wave:

Diy - Black Widow

Commercial - Elite EzFrame with CineGrey material

The amount of light hitting your screen will be 22fL. You can easily get away with a gray screen and I would do it for the Sports, General TV, and Gaming. Those three usual require some sort of ambient lighting.

As for diy vs. commercial, what's your time worth? A diy screen with laminate as the substrate would cost you over $100 for materials. The paint isn't expensive, but the laminate and lumber would bring it up there. A 100" Elite EzFrame with CineGrey would cost you around $400 with shipping and take about a half hour to set up. A 106" Elite Silver Frame would cost you $100 less.

Do you want to take the time to build a screen or would you rather go the simple way? This is a question best answered by you. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the black widow look better than the CineGrey?

As far as what is my time worth? Not much when I'm not working! But I know what you mean. I have always been a diy'er and love doing projects, but also don't mind doing things the easy way if it makes sense. I am looking for the best bang for the buck, and what will look best. I have also been known to take more time and spend more on DIY. :)

Mech, I noticed in otherr posts that you replaced your WA Fashion grey laminate with the CineGrey. Which did you think is the better picture? Is the CineGrey the best picture for the money? I have seen lots of good reviews on Carada.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Actually, what I have done is I've gone from a Fashion Grey screen to a Black Widow screen to an Elite EzFrame with CineGrey. The Elite screen is great bang for the buck. It's cheap, easy to set up, and it performs nicely.

As for the difference between Black Widow and CineGrey, I think BW had slightly better blacks and better whites. I haven't compared them directly yet cause I gave away my old BW screen. it had a crack in it but a friend wanted it anyway. These two are very similar shades of gray with BW being slightly darker and having aluminum in it.

I like my Elite screen more than I liked my diy screen though I do miss my back lighting. I'll probably rig the rope back up on this one though soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, what I have done is I've gone from a Fashion Grey screen to a Black Widow screen to an Elite EzFrame with CineGrey. The Elite screen is great bang for the buck. It's cheap, easy to set up, and it performs nicely.

As for the difference between Black Widow and CineGrey, I think BW had slightly better blacks and better whites. I haven't compared them directly yet cause I gave away my old BW screen. it had a crack in it but a friend wanted it anyway. These two are very similar shades of gray with BW being slightly darker and having aluminum in it.

I like my Elite screen more than I liked my diy screen though I do miss my back lighting. I'll probably rig the rope back up on this one though soon.
Mech, you talk about back lighting your screen, what did you use? do you have pics of the build? what does that do for your screen (better contrast, white/black levels)? i just bought the Panny AE4000 and giong to build a DIY BOC screen with KILZ primer and N8 Scorpion paint on it so adding rope lights to the back of the frame would be uber easy. :T

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Mech, you talk about back lighting your screen, what did you use? do you have pics of the build? what does that do for your screen (better contrast, white/black levels)? i just bought the Panny AE4000 and giong to build a DIY BOC screen with KILZ primer and N8 Scorpion paint on it so adding rope lights to the back of the frame would be uber easy. :T
I used the standard white rope light available at Home Depot. It is supposed to help with perceived contrast. There are some shots here of lights on and lights off. Here's a pic of the frame I used for my laminate. It had a 1X2 bump out on the back side which is what I attached the lights to.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I forgot to add that that picture above was a pic of the early prototype. The final model had the bump out about 3 inches from the edge of the frame. I found that with the lights in too far it didn't have the desired effect I was looking for. My advice is to get them near the edge and have them on a dimmer if needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
very cool, that is exactly what i was thinking... not a hard upgrade at all...
thanks Mech.... i have enough qtr sawn oak in my attic to make the frame and the BOC is on the way, i am going to stop by HD to get the KILZ and rope lights and should be ready to make the frame this week...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very cool, that is exactly what i was thinking... not a hard upgrade at all...
thanks Mech.... i have enough qtr sawn oak in my attic to make the frame and the BOC is on the way, i am going to stop by HD to get the KILZ and rope lights and should be ready to make the frame this week...
WOAH there buckaroo, don't go and use quartersawn oak for that!! :yikes: That is for furniture making! If you don't want it I'll trade you some poplar that will work great for a screen frame!

BTW the lights do look very cool. I've got to set my screen out from the wall due to some jogs in the wall so I may add it too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOAH there buckaroo, don't go and use quartersawn oak for that!! :yikes: That is for furniture making! If you don't want it I'll trade you some poplar that will work great for a screen frame!

BTW the lights do look very cool. I've got to set my screen out from the wall due to some jogs in the wall so I may add it too.
HAHA... dont think i have been called a buckaroo before or atleast after i started shaving. :unbelievable: the thing is a have a lot of wood i aquired (over 2000bft) and i really cant see going down to HD and buying more when all i have to do is go up into the attic and take down enough oak, plane it straight and cut it to the needed demensions... but if you live near Dallas we can talk about a trade of materials if that will save your sanity :bigsmile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHA... dont think i have been called a buckaroo before or atleast after i started shaving. :unbelievable: the thing is a have a lot of wood i aquired (over 2000bft) and i really cant see going down to HD and buying more when all i have to do is go up into the attic and take down enough oak, plane it straight and cut it to the needed demensions... but if you live near Dallas we can talk about a trade of materials if that will save your sanity :bigsmile:
Well, I guess if I had 2000bft I wouldn't be going to HD either! I wish I did live near Dallas, I wouldn't be in a blizzard right now, and get some wood for the winter projects! I'm in Iowa, and I meant no harm with the bukaroo statement, just a saying!

Let me know how your Scorpion screen turns out. I'm looking at doing Black widow, just not sure what to paint it on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I guess if I had 2000bft I wouldn't be going to HD either! I wish I did live near Dallas, I wouldn't be in a blizzard right now, and get some wood for the winter projects! I'm in Iowa, and I meant no harm with the bukaroo statement, just a saying!

Let me know how your Scorpion screen turns out. I'm looking at doing Black widow, just not sure what to paint it on.
no problem on the comment, made me laugh for a moment... yea i heard the midwest is getting pounded right now... i will take some pics of the screen. i am going to use BOC for the base of the screen. i was thinking of doing a 1/2" drywall on frame screen but didn't want to mess with tape and bedding and getting it smooth enough for a screen...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts