Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm into the final phase of getting my room set up and it was time to paint the screen.

I primed the wall, then went to add my Sherwin Williams Grey Screen to the wall. Used a better quality roller and 3/16" nap Wooster Super Doo-Z roller.

I'm thinking that maybe the paint tray was bend and that I wasn't getting even coverage on the roller.

I followed the technique outlined here, and I still ended up with a lot of banding. I don't think its what you call roller marks, but I can clearly see the roller path through scenes with a lot of a single color, or on the test pattern from the projector.

Here's some shots.....

Can anyone help identify what I'm doing wrong based on the pictures and make any suggestions?

Also, the guy in the store recommended that I try the Benjamin Moore ADVANCE Waterborne Interior Alkyd Paint. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rolling always leaves the danger of roller marks, try spraying the screen and you will get much better results.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
embarrassingly, that was the 3rd coat.

the picture looked smoother with just the primer. No streaks, no unevenness. When I switched to the actual paint is when I started having trouble.

That doesn't appear to be roller marks. That looks like the seam in your drywall. I don't think the primer did it's job. I would try another coat and I'd bet that would fix it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What sheen did you use? it seems rather glossy.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Looks like we posted at the same time! :bigsmile:

The sheen is the problem. You need to find a different paint in a different sheen - matte, eggshell or even flat. Pro Classic's lowest sheen is Satin so it won't work. Even though there are reports of it working as a white screen. I think Duration comes in a matte finish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I was flirting with either trying a matte finish or renting a paint sprayer and sticking with the satin.

The sheen is the problem. You need to find a different paint in a different sheen - matte, eggshell or even flat. Pro Classic's lowest sheen is Satin so it won't work. Even though there are reports of it working as a white screen. I think Duration comes in a matte finish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok. I was flirting with either trying a matte finish or renting a paint sprayer and sticking with the satin.
As the guys stated incorrect paint used but i can also see roller marks, matte gives great results as i have tried and tested myself, also pick up a spray gun they are cheap enough and a handy thing to have around the house.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
The sheen is definately the problem here. Same thing happened to me on my first attempt for BW using eggshell finish from B.M. Too glossy.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Good to see :T

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had them color match the Sherwin Williams Screen Grey (7071). It was listed in the Neutral Greys thread as being as close to a pure N8 as I could get. Very happy with the results right now.

Did you use plain white or some gray shade?

Well done!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you tell us screen's dimension and projector in use?
These images are from an Epson 5030ub on roughly 105" diagonal (16:9) mounted at 11' from the screen. Projector is on THX setting in a mostly light controlled basement, other than the window at the top right of the screen.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts