Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering ordering the new AE4000U. I will be purchasing a 16:9 106" electric screen to go with it. My main viewing will be games and movies. My HT is also my living room so it is not light controlled although most viewing will be done at night. I sit 12 - 14' from the screen. Viewing angle is not a problem as all seats are well within the narrowest angle. I think you will reccomend some screen gain but I don't want to see any blooming or hot spots at night when the lights are out and the room becomes light controlled. I guess I am looking for the best compromise between my two viewing conditions. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
No gain recommended here! ;) I'd recommend a gray screen. :T Something like an Elite CineGrey. But you better hurry, cause they are dropping their gray screens. On a more expensive note, something like a Stewart Grayhawk would work as well.

There's no need for gain where none is needed. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Mech, do you make this reccomendation based on the lumen output of the 4000U or my viewing conditions?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
What! :rubeyes: When are they dropping them? Guess that may force a decision for me sooner than I wanted to!
That's pretty much what my reaction was as well. But they say they don't sell as many grays as whites. Personally, I think it has to do with white screens being bundled with projectors at cheap prices. Well, that and the fact that most of the folks getting one have no idea what they should be buying. :huh:

I'm glad that I've got mine! :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
That's pretty much what my reaction was as well. But they say they don't sell as many grays as whites. Personally, I think it has to do with white screens being bundled with projectors at cheap prices. Well, that and the fact that most of the folks getting one have no idea what they should be buying. :huh:

I'm glad that I've got mine! :T
I think that is a poor business decision on Elite's part, with PJ lumens increasing every year gray screens are going to rule and be the solution to many HT image problems due to ambient light and light wall color situations. The future is gray, baby!

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just took the plunge and bought the AE4000 and i am building a DIY screen using the N8 Scorpion paint scheme...cant wait to see what it looks like... projector, mount and BOC should be here in a few days....
WOO HOO, cant wait to get it fired up :D:gulp:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I think that is a poor business decision on Elite's part, with PJ lumens increasing every year gray screens are going to rule and be the solution to many HT image problems due to ambient light and light wall color situations. The future is gray, baby!
I couldn't agree anymore! I don't think it's a very smart decision.

They are an economical screen company. They offer a good product at a low price. Unfortunately, because of this, their white screens get bundled with a lot of projectors. I've seen three of their white motorized screens (bundled with pj) locally in the last year. All three of these folks wish they would have gotten a gray screen. Sometimes you must use common sense rather than the dollar sign. Especially if you plan on running your business well into the future.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been watching my AE4000 for a week using a white screen. I am definitely going to go for a grey screen now (reversible, N9 one side and BW on the other?).

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I have been watching my AE4000 for a week using a white screen. I am definitely going to go for a grey screen now (reversible, N9 one side and BW on the other?).
That would be about the perfect screen to have at the moment. The N9 would give you most of the benefits of a white screen (all the benefits if using C&S) while giving a bit of help with image contrast, while the BW side would give you added performance in ambient light.

Full tests aren't completed yet, but C&S has a peak gain of very close to 1.0. When the tests are done the info will be posted in the C&S thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Harpmaker,

I can't source Craft Smart Metallic Silver for C&S in NZ at the moment but I will keep looking.

I have obtained AAAF from Australia so I'm good to go with the BW (using Dulux Half Ellen instead of Bermuda Beige).

The N9 screen would be for lights out viewing in a room with white ceiling/beige walls. I just want the blacks a bit darker. The AE4000 is so bright I wonder if C&S would make that much difference in this situation?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Harpmaker,

I can't source Craft Smart Metallic Silver for C&S in NZ at the moment but I will keep looking.

I have obtained AAAF from Australia so I'm good to go with the BW (using Dulux Half Ellen instead of Bermuda Beige).

The N9 screen would be for lights out viewing in a room with white ceiling/beige walls. I just want the blacks a bit darker. The AE4000 is so bright I wonder if C&S would make that much difference in this situation?
Yeah, Craft Smart paints are only available in North America (not sure about Mexico). We are working on an International version, but it's slow going since we are doing this in our spare time and that has been at a premium lately.

If you have a bright PJ you probably don't need the extra kick of the reflective agent in C&S and a good neutral N9 paint would work well.

I think that as PJ's keep getting brighter and brighter each year mixes that use reflective elements to boost performance will be less and less needed for normal sized HT screens and will fall into the same "special situation" class as glass-beaded screens are today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have a bright PJ you probably don't need the extra kick of the reflective agent in C&S and a good neutral N9 paint would work well.
That's what I was thinking.

I think that as PJ's keep getting brighter and brighter each year mixes that use reflective elements to boost performance will be less and less needed for normal sized HT screens and will fall into the same "special situation" class as glass-beaded screens are today.
I'm sure you are right but I hope that BW will give me better performance with more ambient light. I plan to use this for sports viewing with friends round and a few lights on.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I will be purchasing a 16:9 106" electric screen to go with it.
If you are buying the 4000, why not get a 2.35:1 screen?

i just took the plunge and bought the AE4000 and i am building a DIY screen using the N8 Scorpion paint scheme...cant wait to see what it looks like... projector, mount and BOC should be here in a few days....
WOO HOO, cant wait to get it fired up :D:gulp:
I know you guys have posted in the 4000 thread, but please do give us an update on your experiences and maybe a user review when you get the time.

Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread

Thanks... :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I'm sure you are right but I hope that BW will give me better performance with more ambient light. I plan to use this for sports viewing with friends round and a few lights on.
Oh yeah, it will be years until PJ's are bright enough so that darker mixes don't need some reflective help.

I could be wrong, but I think there is a very real chance that you will end up using the BW screen way more than the N9 screen. It works well even in a bat cave.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think there is a very real chance that you will end up using the BW screen way more than the N9 screen. It works well even in a bat cave.
Possibly true, especially as it will be a while before I ever get a bat cave! However I am very excited about making a double sided screen so I will go ahead with it regardless.

I have got a sample of an aluminium composite panel and it is fantastic stuff. Two sheets of painted aluminium with a core of polyethylene. It's 4mm thick, very light and extremely rigid. I will probably reinforce it with a 20x3mm aluminium border on both sides and the whole thing will weigh about 18kg (41 pounds), not bad for a 2.7m diagonal screen (106").

·
Registered
45 Posts
I suggest a lower gain screen to prevent Silk Screen Effect. white matte is my preference... you give up some contrast and brightness, but avoid the 'shimmer'

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I would not recommend a high gain screen I would not go for a white screen either. After watching my 4000 on white for a couple of months now I would only recommend a grey screen. The projector is plenty bright enough to cope with an N8.5 or darker. Its all a matter of taste of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts