Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for suggestions :
i will be getting a Panasonic AE3000 and will be putting it a room that has some low ambiant light
I am looking for a screen of about 100in in size (my room is large enough for this kind of viewing)
Should I choose a grey screen?
Should I choose a white screen?
any thoughts ?

this is what i was thinking of buying
Focupix Flexio 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 96" - Enamel Black
1.3 gain, matte white fabric
End-to-end size: 93"(Width)x70"(Height

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Welcome to the Shack nubian! :bigsmile:

Define low ambient light. :dizzy: What are we talking about? What kind of light (sunlight, lamps, wattage etc.) and does it hit the screen? You will generally always benefit from a gray screen in a room with ambient light. Do you prefer deep blacks and better contrast?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Also... what will be the projector's distance from the screen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"" looking for suggestions :
i will be getting a Panasonic AE3000 and will be putting it a room that has some low ambiant light
I am looking for a screen of about 100in in size (my room is large enough for this kind of viewing)
any thoughts ?

Focupix Flexio 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 96" - Enamel Black
End-to-end size: 93"(Width)x70"(Height """
------------------------------------------------------
what i mean by low ambient light is difused sun light it does not hit the screen directly
eep blacks and better contrast? well i will say contrast i think

and the projecter is 12 feet away

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
"" looking for suggestions :
any thoughts ?

End-to-end size: 93"(Width)x70"(Height """
------------------------------------------------------
what i mean by low ambient light is difused sun light it does not hit the screen directly
eep blacks and better contrast? well i will say contrast i think

and the projecter is 12 feet away
I'm kinda having trouble with those dimensions. It looks like you're saying a 16x9 96" diagonal screen, but then those 93"x70" don't match up, that's a 4x3 layout.

Okay... so assuming we're talking about a 96" diagonal 16x9 screen with the projector 12" away we're talking around 23fL of brightness. You definitely do not need the 1.3 gain screen.

With that said, you have more than enough lumens and fL at the screen to deal with even bright ambient lighting... just not direct Sunlight.

As far as a gray screen or white screen? Unlike other installers or people giving advice elsewhere, I'd rather you decide what you like over me telling you something. I mean afterall you know what you like better than anyone else right? So the question is are you the type that wants overall accuracy and the image exactly as the projector can produce it (which may or may not be exactly as the director shot it! ;) ) with whites as white as they can be, and slightly washed out blacks- Or do you want the colors to still remain accurate but the blacks to be deeper and darker, and consequently the shadow details to be better as well, but whites to take a slight hit? Keep in mind, when looking at a full screen without a reference, you won't know the whites took a hit and that blacks aren't totally black, it's all relevant.

It sounds to me though that you'd do fine with a screen that's an N8 gray in shade, maybe an N8.5 shade. With the N8 gray and how bright your image is you won't have any problems with white levels and the shade of gray will help improve percieved contrast and black levels, especially with some lighting on and definitely with some Sunlight. You can go darker than that, but then you are starting to talk about higher priced commercial screens, so it also depends on what your budget is for a screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts