Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. im looking to make my own screen and want to use material instead of painting.

projector is BenQ w1070

room is basement with controlled lighting, but some lights will be on sometimes. serious movie watching will be with all lights off.

seating distance is 9'. throw distance is 9.5'. screen size will be 106"

thanks in advance

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will absolutely be watching 3D content. so what gray material would you suggest, and how would this stack up against something like Visual Apex's screens and the Sable frame series Cinewhite?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
To be honest, if you don't want to paint, I'd just look for a Cinegrey screen or maybe a Jamestown High Contrast screen. Jamestown doesn't have a 106" model listed but they do have a 110" for $249. Several members here have Jamestown screens and they all love them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow. those Jamestown screens are cheap!!! im wondering if 110" will be too big though. im only 9' away. i guess its not that much bigger than 106, but i do have some height issues as well. there is some lower hanging ductwork im trying to avoid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ended up just buying the Elite. too cheap not to try it. too long a wait on the Jamestown, but at that price i might pick one up later just to compare.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I too just purchased a W1070 (for the bucks, it is one very impressive unit).

I currently have a white/gray spandex screen, but also been playing with my old painted Unique Gray screen and the image is NOT bright at all. I think it's about right. I didn't have a chance to measure with my i1D3, but I am guessing it's probably in the high teens or lower 20s fl in Cinema and Smart Eco (BF Off).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts