Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
more money, and the rep from Projector People said there isnt much of a difference between the two.
i think im also going to order a gray Jamestown screen to compare. ill just sell the one that doesnt work as good for me. im out of the diy scope now so ill leave it at that. thanks for all the help guys!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is quite an old thread, but I stumbled upon it and I'm currently trying to make the same decision. I'm looking at a 110" screen for my first projector setup, going to be getting the Benq W1070 as well, and will have a light controlled room in the basement, with darker gray walls, light gray ceiling and carpet that is on the lighter side. I will likely have SOME light on in the room, although it will be dimmed greatly, when I watch TV. I'll mostly watch 2D sports and movies but I can see myself buying a 3D bluray player in the future and maybe watching some 3D, so I want that to be an option, but it's not #1 for me. My wife's concern with going to a projector will be that it's too dim for her liking, so that's a consideration as well.

I was looking at the elite cinewhite screen, as you did, but after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I will need to get one of the Jamestown screens or the cinegrey screen? Since you had two of these, can you give your opinion? Anyone else who has more thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go with the Cinegrey material mainly because the 1070 is a very bright projector and you have the lumens to spare.
Thanks for the input. Would you have any concern that, if I wanted it to be bright, getting the CineGrey with the W1070 might dim the screen too much, even in a dark room? I'd like to be able to use the smart eco mode to save lamp life as well. Not having seen it, I'm assuming the picture difference between the White/Grey is noticeably different?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You'll notice the difference when you check white vs gray side by side - both with and without ambient lights on. If you delve deep enough here I'm certain I've got some white versus gray photos somewhere. White will look better in the dark and gray will look better with ambient lighting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking at AT screen options for the w1070 as well.. my walls and ceiling are currently a light grey (Repose Grey from SW to be exact) though I may paint them a darker grey color that we used as an accent in various parts of the house.. if I did paint the side walls, I'd go to where the eventual columns would be to house the speakers and wall light.. about 3.5' feet from the AT screen wall..

looking to light up a 135" 16:9 screen from about 11.5' away. Floor will have a dark green Packers rug covering most of the area by the screen. I've attached a picture of my room. If I went with 135" I'd have about 12-15" on each side to the side walls so I'll get a good amount of light bouncing off from there.

No windows in the room and most of the viewing will be done with the lights off.. it's not a bat cave but there won't be any light sources apart from the pj to worry about.

first row seating will be about 10.5" from the screen so I was looking at the various spandex options as a result.. I've got a sample from Falcon but was hoping to save a couple hundred bucks and go with a spandex..

given that the Benq should have lumens to spare, do I go with a white over black spandex screen.. or would something like white over grey or grey over white help with the contrast and black levels?

I've looked at the other spandex thread and looks like white over black might be my best bet but was seeking clarification..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I would go with white, and run the projector in ECO mode.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts