Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just thought of something that could be used.... just wondering if anyone has tried it... the back side linoleum floor im gunna test it by it self tomorrow... but i know from experience ( my grandmother buys the reminents and paints the back side like area rugs and sells them at craft shows.. they are very durable and not to heave and verry inexpensive... so after i try it bare i will probably be on my way to the depot for some paint... that the back side is extremely paintable... which would solve my earlier problem of paneling... without the mess of trying to fill the lines with anything... any thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im sorry by linoleum i mean vinyl sheet flooring... i guess my brain just thinks old school everything on a role that goes on the floor and is'nt carpet is linoleum

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Very interesting Mike. How do you plan on putting the vinyl flooring on the wall? I think this may have definite possibilities! :T

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its since you don't care about whats on the other side its like 2.95 per square foot.... u can use any of them not like u care what the pattern looks like and u can get it in very large sizes... im planing on making a wooden frame with braces and then stapling it to the frame... i haven't figured out if im going to be able to actually wrap it around the frame or just make it the size of the frame and just make that a little bigger than the viewing area... so that i can put a decorative frame around that..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actually tested mine on a strap i had without painting it and it doesn't look bad! im still gunna do paint but i wanted to test it anyway... everyone was sugjesting painting but i wanted to be able to take it with me since i rent... so so far this is the best thing i could come up with

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is some info on the cheap stuff from home dept

Armstrong 12 Ft. Wide Black and White Royelle® Residential Sheet Vinyl

Model 61338405

$3.96/SY Square yard
Not Sold Online
Sold At Your Local Store
Add to My List

-Product shown is normally carried at your local store; availability may vary.
-Local store prices may vary from those displayed.
# .050 In. Thick
# 1-Year Warranty
# MFG Brand Name : Armstrong
# MFG Model # : 61338405
# MFG Part # : 61338405
* Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 36 In.
* Assembled Height (In Inches) : .065 In.
* Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 1.62
* Assembled Width (In Inches) : 36 In.
* Collection Name : Royelle
* Color / Finish : Black/White
* Commercial/Residential : Residential
* Energy Star Compliant : No
* Length : 1350 In.
* Length : 112.5 Ft.
* Pattern : Yes
* Pattern Style : Geormetrics
* Thickness : .050In.
* Width : 144 In.
* Width : 12 Ft.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You can actually get a laminate cheaper than this. See if you can get a sheet of Wilsonart at your local lumber yard. It's usually less than $2 a square foot. And if you get the right color for your room you don't have to paint it. Fashion Grey for the room with lights, Designer White for the bat cave.

mech

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what kind of laminate is it? the stuff i listed is 2.95 a sq yard.... but if u dont have to paint it it would bring the price way down

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Wilsonart can usually be acquired for less than $2 a square foot. It may require some phone calls or driving, but most folks pay less than $2 per sq. foot. I paid $2.25 at the Wilsonart distribution warehouse for my sheets that I've tested. And that was always considered high. Check Home Depot or Lowes. Here's the laminate thread location. :T

mech

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Just thought I should point out that there are 9 square feet in a square yard.

$2 a square foot would then be $18 a square yard.

$4 a square yard would be about $0.45 a square foot.:nerd:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Yep missed the square yard post. Was too busy looking at the square foot post.

well its since you don't care about whats on the other side its like 2.95 per square foot.... u can use any of them not like u care what the pattern looks like and u can get it in very large sizes... im planing on making a wooden frame with braces and then stapling it to the frame... i haven't figured out if im going to be able to actually wrap it around the frame or just make it the size of the frame and just make that a little bigger than the viewing area... so that i can put a decorative frame around that..
$3.96 a square yard is much better than $2.95 a square foot!

mech

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I just got back from my local Lowe's (made a quick trip, my friend needed some paint). I picked up a sample of the Armstrong Royelle vinyl flooring. I may try getting some of this when I have time. The price was $0.45 a sq.ft.

The back (our working surface) concerns me just a bit; it appears to be made of cardboard so I would definitely prime before painting. It would be sweet if this stuff could simply be stapled to the back of a frame after painting.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
The next time I get to a Lowe's or Home Depot that has it in stock, I will get some of the Armstrong Royelle to experiment with. This stuff holds great promise for those wanting truly BIG screens! The width of the roll is 12 feet! This means our screens can be almost 12 feet high by however wide we need them to be! It boggles the mind.:dizzy: Wanna make a 286" diagonal 16:9 screen (that's 140" tall x 249" wide)? No problem! :bigsmile:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I haven't gotten to Home Depot yet, but I did find a precut roll at a local outlet that specializes in overstock and close-out items. It was a 6x8 foot roll for $17; that comes out to around $.035 a sq ft. I know the dimensions are wrong for a 16:9 screen, but I will probably get one since I have a 4:3 PJ. It would actually make 4 of the smaller screens I intend to try out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts