Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the screen (all the screens?) in my Panasonic PT-53TW53. I'm looking for a place to find used parts, preferably with reasonable prices. Any help with websites or stores would be greatly appreciated. If there is another place in this forum that would be more helpful, please let me know also.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Why are you replacing? Are both layers damaged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2 year old damaged the outter layer, secondly I took the tv apart to clean the inside and I don't know what I did but now there looks like there screen is extremely dirty and I can't get it clean. I don't know how to explain exactly what it looks like. The picture is fine, but the screen just looks downright bad. I don't know what layer it is that looks this bad. I have opened it up before to clean it and all went well. I truly have no idea what I did to get this.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You will have to be more specific. Did you possibly reverse or invert the screen or one of the screens? Can you post an image or be more descripteive of the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can't upload a picture using a url. i didn't reverse or invert any screens. is it possible that i took off some kind of coating on the outer screen? i used windex and stridex pads to wipe the outer screen. the screen looked{and still does}like it had oilly patches on the screen and i thought the alcohol would help to get it off. in a corner my wife used alcohol to take some of the "whatever" off. it worked slightly, but the effort she put in would take forever to finish. when i run my fingers over the outer screen it feels like it goes from smooth to very smooth. i really don't know how to explain the way it looks. i'm really just wanting to know where and how much i could get a new/used one for. i'm sure i ruined it and just wanna replace it if reasonable. or live with til the convergence goes out anagin and pruchase a new tv all together.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the outer screen is smooth, it is just a protective layer and can be removed to see if that is the problem with the pix.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's the problem. You can't use alchohol or windex. If the screen you are talking about is kind of reflective you can take it off for good. Btw a screen may cost a couple of hundred bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, by using alcohol or windex one will actually scratch the plexiglass and cause it to have an opaque finish to develop. A new protective plexiglass screen through Panasonic is $330. You can also buy the entire frame and screens that covers the front of the TV from other places than Panasonic for $580. Right now I'm may try the cheapest. That is actually to sand the surface with 600 grit sandpaper to get rid of the opaque finish, then buff to restore the glossy finish. I first need to determine whether or not the screen has a protective coating. If it doesn't, I'm in business. If it does, I'm gonna have to live with it unless I come up with something else. This sounds crazy using sandpaper, but this comes from Eplastics.com, plexiglass experts. Cost for this is gonna be about $25 plus S&H. I've had the same 2 convergence amps go out 14 months apart so I'm just gonna buy some time til it happens again. Once again, if anyone knows where to get discount or used replacement parts, feel free to chime in.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Have you considered just removing the protective layer? It is just there to protect the lenticular.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The darker outter protective layer has a verticle ridged layer on the other side. Is this needed? Then the 3rd, inner most layer, is a clear{white}, circular ridged layer. Basically there are 3 layers, but the outter 2 are fused together is what I'm trying to say. If I got rid of the darker outter 2 layers and replaced just those with 1 piece of the same color{or close to it} plexiglass, would that work?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The clear protective layer is on the outside. The lenticular layer is next, with the ridges that are oriented vertically. The fresnel lens is the back layer, with a circular pattern cut into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, if the lenticular lense and the outter protectice layer are fused together, there is is nothing I can do?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the layers are fused together it is not a protective layer on the front, it is part of the lenticular lens. Nothing you can do but replace it if that is the case. What you are describing is not what I recall for these sets, however, so I cannot be sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
lcaillo and my point is, if it's the protective screen that is damaged , you can take it off for good. Picture quality actually looks better without protective screen.

A simple way to tell if your TV comes with protective screen is, if you look at the TV and feel the screen is kind of reflective like a mirror, then the outer layer is a protective screen which can be taken off.

Even at discounted price it's not cost-effective for a new protective screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I take off the the outer protective layer that has verticle ridges{lenticular lense?} on the reverse side all that is left is a white layer with a circular pattern in it. The verticle ridges do nothing? And my picture will look even better by looking through white sheet of plastic only and NOT the blackish outer sheet I've been looking through for 5 years? What about the lenticular lense that he was talking about earlier? It seems to me that it fused to the protective cover. This isn't needed either? Thank-you for your patience. I could see taking off the outer most layer if there were 3 distinct layers, but there's only 2. I also know what you mean about being cost effective. I only plan on having this TV until the convergence amps go out again. I am only trying to buy time. If the layer with the verticle ridges are not needed, could I not try to get a piece of plexiglass that is the same or close to the same color as the protective screen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
according to Panasonic, this is the part number for what I need. TKG2AH50641 with a pricetag of $332.08.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts