Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has any screen shots of the Elite CineGray screens (doesn't matter exactly which screen since I believe the material is all the same across all their lines as long as it's called CineGray). If you have a comparision between it and CineWhite that would be fantastic, however, at the very least I'm looking for a shot of CineGray.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just found a full blown review on the CineGray screen with two screen shots ... in case anyone else is interested it's located here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/projectorscreens/Elite/ezframeHC/index.php

So now the only thing left (or so I think :) ) is to get input on wether a CineGray screen or PowerGain screen would do better in a room with poor light control ... but I created a new thread with that question so as to keep things organized .

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Harry I'll have to look up the PowerGain, off the top of your head do you know if it is a retro-reflective screen? If so and if your projector is ceiling mounted then any benefits of the higher gain will be negated.

It also depends on how dark the CineGray. Off hand I would take a guess that with poor light control you'll be better off with the CineGray and the viewing cone should also be much wider than a higher gain screen.

Even with the extra gain, you're going to take a hit with black levels with lighting issues.

Remind me of your layout and projector again please.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're moving places, but the plan is that the projector is going to be a Mitsubishi HC1500 and it will be ceiling mounted. The room layout is 10x20 feet with the screen at one end and seating at the other so seating distance is about 17 feet or so. There's windows located directly behind the seating area, which will have blinds, but during the day there's gonna be a decent amount of light spillage. During the night I will probably have a small light on since my wife doesn't like watching in complete darkness. Also the planned color for the walls is fairly light and the ceiling is white.

Currently I have a painted N8.5 screen (using one of the exterior Behr paints recommended here) so I'm already used to a gray screen. Also the projector I have right now is a Benq W100 which is dimmer than the HC1500 that I will setup in the new place.

My first inclination is to go with the CineGray since gray screens seem to be better able to deal with ambient light, however, I see recommendations for high gain screen in situations that have ambient light also. So basicaly I'm trying to figure out which will produce better result in the presence of ambient light, a gray screen or high gain screen. Btw, the ambient light in my situation is coming from behind the sitting area, not the sides.

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know this setup isn't anywhere near ideal, but I'm trying to make the best I can of the situation. :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Again the big factor will be if the high gain screen is a glass beaded retro-reflected screen. If so, then skip it, you won't get the benefits of the higher gain with a ceiling mounted projector, in fact it could make things worse.

Let me explain- IF it is a retro-reflective screen that means it will reflect light back at the source (think a traffic sign and your headlights). This would reflect light back up at the projector and ceiling, and with a light colored ceiling that light will then reflect back onto the screen causing the image to wash out some.

If it isn't a retro-reflective screen, see if they will send you a sample to check out and see how you like it. Always remember to recalibrate though when going from a white screen to a gray screen, it really does make a huge difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I forgot to add that piece of info. From that I've read on the various news groups, it's angular reflective, not retro-reflective.

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You are correct Harry and everything you need to know about the PowerGain is in my review. :T

Like most high gain materials I've looked at, there's a touch of graininess in bright white scenes. BW has a extremely slight graininess too if you stand close to it.

I'll try and get in touch with Elite for a CineGrey sample later today.

mech

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bit the bullet and bought the Elite EzFrame CineGray screen. I found an amazing deal on eBay and just couldn't pass it up ($160 shipped for a 106" screen). Once I get it and have it setup (which will be a few months since we're moving, etc.) I'll try to post my comments. In the mean time though I'd love to hear your review if they send you a sample.

Thanks,
Harry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts