Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In addition to my other thread about screen material I also meant to ask opinions on screen size.

My viewing distance is about 10ft from eye to screen. The PJ distance from lens to screen is 12ft. The Pj is ceiling mounted in the hallway with a hole in the wall through to the lounge.

My current 16:9 screen is about 78" by "44. This gives me about 78" by 33" when watching Blu ray, HD DVD and SKy HD films, which is the majority of my viewing. If I go scope I was considering a screen size of 96" by 40.5". This would provide me with a nice increase in size for the majority of my viewing with a small reduction in size for the occasional normal widescreen of about 72" by 40.5"

So, I gain 18" in width for scope and lose 6" for normal. Also, height wise I gain 7.5" in height for scope and lose 3.5" for normal.

The throw ratio for an anamorphic lens would be spot on at 2:1 based on the 16:9 equivalent width (12ft lens to screen and 6ft screen width)

This also gives me 1.25:1 ratio seating distance to screen width. All these measurements seem ideal to me but I would appreciate opinions on this.

Thanks again,

Graham

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mechman,

The first very easy to use link puts me within a coupe of inches of that calculation.

I entered the relevant data into the spreadsheet on the second link and all looks good as well,

Graham

1 - 3 of 3 Posts