Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a Sony 40ES this week and I need to buy a screen as well. I built a 13x19 room with black walls/ceiling and 100% light control (no windows and sealed door). I decided on the 40ES for now and plan to upgrade to 4k when they are under $5,000.

My first row is at 11'5" eye distance from screen and the back row is at 17'. I was considering a 135" 16x9 screen, but I am concerned that the front row will be too close. Also the front is ~13' (160 inches exact) and the screen with bezel is 124". So that leaves about 18" on each side.

My questions:
Is the 135" screen too big for the front row? Knowing that I 100% intend on upgrading to 4k as in the next year or two max.

Is 18" enough space for side speakers (RBH SX series). I know putting them right in the corner can sometimes be an issue for reflection.

If this is too big what size do you think would be best? 120"? I really want to get the benefit of 4k, but I also don't want something that is unwatchable in 1080.

Thanks all for you input,
Mido

·
Registered
225 Posts
My first row is right about 11 feet, and I have a 115" 16x9 screen. If I could go a touch bigger I would, but probably not 135.

Ideally I could have the same height, but in a 2.35 width, but I'm already wall-to-wall (acoustically transparent screen).

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I am using 185" (2.35) of a 195" (2.35) AT screen with the front row 12' away and the picture looks great to me, and our guests. Our guests prefer the front row over the 2nd row (16') unless they want to experience the extra bass of the 2nd row seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow huge size, but it does help with the height to go 2.35:1 instead of 16:9. I hadn't considered going that route since most of my content is 16x9. I think the only way that wouldn't drive me nuts is if I had a masking system.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your not going to go with an acoustically transparent screen (AT) then you will need more than 18" on each side for speaker placement as its highly advisable to keep speakers out of the corners of a room.

As far as the choice between an 2;35,1 screen or 16x9 (1;85,1) do you watch alot of movies? most movies are now in 2;37,1 or there abouts so it really depends on what you would rather have. bars on the sides or bars on the top and bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts