Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of making the screen surround out of poplar and velvet. Quick question. Can the velvet be wrapped around the bare wood or should I paint the wood a flat black first? I did a test piece without painting the wood and I cannot see through the velvet to the wood.

Thanks
John

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
My understanding is that most don't bother to paint the wood before wrapping it with the velvet, but it could be considered a bit of insurance in case any of the wood might become visible for any reason.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
One of the advantages to either painting or applying polyurethane to the wood would be sealing the wood. This can help to keep the wood from warping in the future. However, on my old diy screen, I didn't seal it and it stayed straight and true. Your mileage may vary though... :T

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used 1x3 pine with corner metal L brackets. The screen is in a basement which has a good amount of moisture and everything has been great for 3 years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents. I ended up not treating the wood. All pieces are nailed into studs with 2" 18ga brads and the 45 degree miters are nailed together. This should help prevent any wood movement that might happen. The most challenging part of this project was wrapping the wood in velvet. Once I figured out the first board the rest went smoothly. I hope to get up some pics soon.

John

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you attach the velvet, as in holding mechanism such as staples, contact cement, etc?
I folded over the edge of the velvet and stapled it to the back of the board. I'll try and post more information, including pics, this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts