Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every made or seen a DIY screen that is stretched using fibergalss tent poles/rods? If it would work with all poles or possible with to rigid poles and two "bendy" poles to strech the material, it would make storing the screen a lot easier for non-fixed installations.

Seems easy enough. Bend over the edges of the material to sew a channel the poles slide into or just at three places along the edge; both ends and the middle. With the material a little shorter than the poles you get tensioning.

Good, bad, am I missing something?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Has anyone every made or seen a DIY screen that is stretched using fibergalss tent poles/rods? If it would work with all poles or possible with to rigid poles and two "bendy" poles to strech the material, it would make storing the screen a lot easier for non-fixed installations.

Seems easy enough. Bend over the edges of the material to sew a channel the poles slide into or just at three places along the edge; both ends and the middle. With the material a little shorter than the poles you get tensioning.

Good, bad, am I missing something?
I don't remember ever of hearing of such a screen, but there is no reason I can see why it wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
It sounds like a cool idea, but i'd be worried that the fiberglass poles would be too flexible and couldn't resist the lateral forces very well (being pulled sideways)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts