Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am pleased to announce that the SDX12 is on order and is expected in time for Christmas.

Target/preliminary parameters are as follows:

Re = 3.7959 ohms
Fs = 18.0666 Hz
Zmax = 43.7661 ohms
Qes = 0.3576
Qms = 3.7655
Qts = 0.3266
Le = 1.7983 mH (at 1 kHz)
Diam = 246.3800 mm ( 9.7000 in )
Sd =47676.1088 mm^2( 73.8981 in^2)
Vas = 93.1960 L ( 3.2912 ft^3)
BL = 17.9996 N/A
Mms = 268.8795 g
Cms = 288.6230 uM/N
Xmax = 28mm one way
Xmech = 30mm one way
Efficiency = 0.1444 %
Sensitivity= 83.6137 dB @1W/1m
Sensitivity= 86.8515 dB @2.83Vrms/1m

Tentative price is in the $300 range and we are contemplating an introductory promo.

Bob

SDX12 back_view.jpg
SDX12_top_view.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
If the parameters hold true then this will be my next project.
This is a 20" (external measurement) cube, the same cabinet design that the TRIO12 kit used, only with three 12" PR's.
A front firing SDX12, a PR on each side and a PR on the back.
All with matching grills, 1200 watts with a HPF at 18 hz.
Modeling shows 111 db at 20 hz with the driver and PR's being under their rated Xmax.
This is going to be an awesome small cabinet/end-table package!

latest.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
It looks interesting. A few questions.

• Any chance of a Klippel report (or similar)?
  • What's the rated RMS power?
  • Can we get the other two components in the 3 element inductance model (Le2 / Re2) so the effects of the inductance can be better modeled?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like an awesome driver - at least the target specs model very well for a small sealed sub.

$300 isn't cheap, and comparable or better performance should be attainable for significantly less... at the expense of using a box with about 2x the volume.

If there is a good introductory price, I might got after it, but unfortunately $300 for just the driver is beyond my budget.

Still, could be a great driver.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just for fun, I modeled it in WinISD:
  • 1cuft. net, stuffed (Qa=10) => gives Q of 0.647
  • Yung SD500-6 (3dB peaking 2nd order highpass @ 25Hz, and modeled with 250W)
  • 80Hz 4th order LR low-pass
  • SPL @ 2m
I only modeled 3dB instead of 6dB boost for the Yung because a member here has traced out the board on the SD200-6 and found it to be only about 3dB boost. So I'm making the assumption (and could be totally wrong) the 500w amp will be similar in this respect. Hopefully someone will verify the actual boost on these amps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMHO, using a HPF with that configuration is a travesty. 500W won't exceed xmax of the SDX-12 even at 1Hz in that box. You could realistically push the power to 1kW without bottoming the driver assuming the upstream electronics or amp itself start to taper off by 5Hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
IMHO, using a HPF with that configuration is a travesty. 500W won't exceed xmax of the SDX-12 even at 1Hz in that box. You could realistically push the power to 1kW without bottoming the driver assuming the upstream electronics or amp itself start to taper off by 5Hz.
True, I wouldn't be getting the most out of the driver that way. I just modeled it since I had already been modelling the Dayton RS315HF and CSS Trio12 in a ~2cuft. box with the Yung amp. The Dayton in particular needs the HPF.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Driver looks great. I am hoping that there are some kits available with the selective control amps since this driver seems like it will need an ample amount of power. Also hoping that there will be full package with PRs and a box that is optimal for the driver and PRs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Driver looks great. I am hoping that there are some kits available with the selective control amps since this driver seems like it will need an ample amount of power. Also hoping that there will be full package with PRs and a box that is optimal for the driver and PRs.
???? to low Sensitivity= 83.6137 dB @1W/1m or its in 4 ohm or it is in 8ohm ????
when in simulation so it looks to fit in cars not in home audio!
In closed box the Q come to be to low 0.4 .

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If the parameters hold true then this will be my next project.
This is a 20" (external measurement) cube, the same cabinet design that the TRIO12 kit used, only with three 12" PR's.
A front firing SDX12, a PR on each side and a PR on the back.
All with matching grills, 1200 watts with a HPF at 18 hz.
Modeling shows 111 db at 20 hz with the driver and PR's being under their rated Xmax.
This is going to be an awesome small cabinet/end-table package!

View attachment 38315
Mike, I have entirely too much to get done and catch up on to take on a project such as another sub build. Yet you have really got the prospect stirring in my head for a 2013 project. (Sigh...) My bride is going to kill me! :spend:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking forward to more info on this driver. pre order?
Hi,

The latest from the factory is that the shipment should leave around the 15th so we expect them in early December.

We plan to fly one in and do some testing and parameter confirmation before announcing a special introductory price. I am thinking a special price on pairs.

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

The latest from the factory is that the shipment should leave around the 15th so we expect them in early December.

We plan to fly one in and do some testing and parameter confirmation before announcing a special introductory price. I am thinking a special price on pairs.

Bob
Oooooooooh, how fortuitous.:T I'm planning to build a pair of subwoofers, so a deal on two drivers would be helpful.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oooooooooh, how fortuitous.:T I'm planning to build a pair of subwoofers, so a deal on two drivers would be helpful.
I would guess that a single SDX15 MkII will equal or outgun a pair of SDX12s and cost less. Of course when / if the SDX15 MkII will come to market and how badly you need a subwoofer are factors to consider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would guess that a single SDX15 MkII will equal or outgun a pair of SDX12s and cost less. Of course when / if the SDX15 MkII will come to market and how badly you need a subwoofer are factors to consider.
Yeah, the SDX15 MkII could probably out gun a pair of SDX12s - extension-wise, at least. It's just that it's usually easier to smooth out the in-room FR with a pair, than with a single. Of course, the actual dollar value of the discount on a pair will certainly impact the final decision.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts