Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The design is finally complete and the sample will be built as soon as it can be arranged with the factory.

While we have full target specifications and parameters we will not share these until the sample is Klippel tested. There are, however, a couple of points I will release.

1. We are going to a 4" voice coil.

2. We are shooting for 34+ mm Xmax.

3. We are aiming for 1500 watts power handling.

4. The "at times difficult to work with trim ring" has been abandoned and will be replaced by a functional as well as cosmetically distinctive rubber gasket.

5. Both mounting bolts and threaded inserts will be included with each driver.

6. This will be a heavier driver and so shipping costs will go up a bit.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and continued support.

Bob

sdx15 II.JPG

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
You wanna send an avid (and cheeky) DIY'er out a review model :whistling:. I have 2 18" pr's sat here, so I could test it in all 3 common types of cabs and post a detailed review. Being a big fan of the 15" AE drivers, I could also compare these to what are my current favourite driver. From what you have posted, this well looks like it could now be superior to that driver, which kinda has me excited :clap:

What do ya say :R

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sounds like you're shooting to turn a beast into... whatever's beastier...

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I take it that means 34 mm or higher? I'll be waiting for for the production T/S parameters to be released so we can see what this sub will do!
Sounds like you're shooting to turn a beast into... whatever's beastier...
The original driver modelled very close to my favourite driver, so hopefully this will now better that one and offer more performance. I'll bet the main area of improvement will be how deep it can go. I too am looking forward to modelling this driver.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
How about the inductance? Is there still a demodulating circuit?

Any chance that you will publish the klippel results?:praying:

Tentative pricing?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about the inductance? Is there still a demodulating circuit?

Any chance that you will publish the klippel results?:praying:

Tentative pricing?
Hi,

There is a shorting ring; what would you consider a good inductance figure?

When the driver is reviewed in Voice Coil there will be a Klippel report.

Until we have full specs I think it's a little premature to quote pricing. What would consider fair?

Bob

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hi Bob.

Well...I don't know...all of that sort of depends on the final parameters and Klippel report in my view. :D The $250-$350 range is hotly contested so you'd probably want to land in the midst of that if it makes financial sense.

I am a Voice Coil subscriber, so I should see the report if it is one of the regular test reviews.

Inductance linearity over range of stroke is what I'm interested with more than a single data point, which is of much less value and information. :T

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
That sounds like an awesome driver. Can't wait to see this one.
34mm excursion for a 15" driver is alot and massive power handling.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
393 Posts
i may have heard rumours about what this thing can do, and i am seriously considering swapping out my SDX15 for a mkII. LOL. or i might just have to build a second one....

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I built a LLT sonosub with the SDX15. Will I be able to swap in this driver or is the mounting completely different?
This is pure speculation on my part, but I reckon a straight swap would be entirely possible. However, I would speculate the new driver would probably need a slightly different cab for optimal performance, and although it will probably work fine in your existing cabinet, the differences or performance increases would probably be too insignificant for it to make sense from an economic POV.

Thats my first thought on it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

There is a shorting ring; what would you consider a good inductance figure?

When the driver is reviewed in Voice Coil there will be a Klippel report.

Until we have full specs I think it's a little premature to quote pricing. What would consider fair?

Bob
It will be nice to have zero inductance, but that can not happen yet.

A fair price is about the cost of a Exodus Tempest X2 or a few US dollars than that.

One thing that will be nice is the efficiency be at least 88 dB. Sure you stated that the SDX15 Mark II can handle 2000 watts, but that does not mean anything to me. A lot of high Xmax woofers from your competitors have low efficiency. Your TRIO12, TRIO8, and SDX10 have an efficiency of 85 dB which is low efficiency. I am willing to spend the money on efficiency compared to spending the money on a marketing tactic that bases on wattage handling.

Another thing that will be nice is a dual 4 ohm voice coil version to provide more choices for hook up. A dual 2 ohm voice coil version is OK, but has the fewest choices for hook up. A dual 4 ohm version can be hooked up in series to provide an 8 ohm to benefit to hooking up two for an amplifier that is 4 ohm stable or up to four for a amplifier that is 2 ohm stable.

1 - 20 of 343 Posts