·
Registered
580 Posts
At least you get some boom!

They are still a very good driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I hope these come out this year. I could use a pair of them for some filler subs. If not I will just have to go with four of the Trio's.:hsd:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hope these come out this year. I could use a pair of them for some filler subs. If not I will just have to go with four of the Trio's.:hsd:
Yes I need the SDX15 too, to go with a Tempest X2 and replace my 12" Shiva X2. Sub drivers seem to have more than doubled in price and Exodus isn't selling sub drivers AFAIK.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Any updates?

Yes you are getting to practice your patience.

And so am I.

Nobody wants to see this driver more than me. Well maybe a few of us tie...

It is currently Chinese new year. Nothing is happening in the whole of China. So we wait. Wait to see who comes back to the factories from home. Yes I'm serious. A few years back one of the factories lost so many key people after new years that they had production problems. Many people come from the interior of China and work in the more coastal industrial cities. China is slightly smaller than Canada in area, and larger than the U.S. They go home for the holidays. Sometimes they stay home and enjoy life on the farm.

So this is always an interesting time to get things accomplished. Short answer wait. About a month from now we may have the first inkling of what is happening.

And to answer the nagging question as to why things are not done on this side of the pond.

I tried. Bob tried. He even paid a company in the U.S. to do the ground work on a driver. Only to find out afterward that they never could have made the driver. They did not have rights to wind the voice coil geometry. There are shady things all over the place.

Bob is doing his best. You guys are getting a very up close and personal front row seat in the saga called driver design and manufacture.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Will these 15's be sold through Bob directly or someone else?

I hope the best for these new subs and will have to pick up a few if everything goes well. Shipping is always the killer for me so I wondered about the location of sales.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The way I see things going, it will be until the end of the year to see this driver in the market. I'm done following this thread.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The way I see things going, it will be until the end of the year to see this driver in the market. I'm done following this thread.
Patience young grasshopper, do you see any other new subs available that will offer up this kind of performance? The DIY sub market is going through a tough time like every other business in this economy, things will get better over time.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Patience young grasshopper, do you see any other new subs available that will offer up this kind of performance? The DIY sub market is going through a tough time like every other business in this economy, things will get better over time.
+1......>DIY is hurting for a high quality subwoofer like this one. I dont mind waiting and as long as they are a good price I will be hoarding a few or 8.:rofl:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I agree with sub crazy. All good things come to those who wait and I believe this driver will bring a new meaning to the 15" driver. It will come.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I think 300 would be a great price but even 350 is great. As long as the price stays away from the TC Sounds price I am interested.

Keep it along the prices of IST/Mach Audio and I am happy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Keep in mind that this sub outperforms almost every driver you have mentioned. It is in a class of it's own.

Others will catchup but that to will take time. And a good design as you have been watching, takes quite a bit of time. Mach5 is having their own set of teething problems totally unrelated to their abilities. It totally sucks when there are little to no cutting edge manufacturers on this side of the pond. They are re-assemblers. They take parts from China and set them up into drivers. Even Eminence who make some of their top plates and such source their cast baskets and t yokes from China. There are companies that will custom assemble on this side of the pond. But they will give you OEM prices that are higher than the ones you mentioned. Imagine the consumer pricing! Things are not as simple as they appear to be.

The price of neodymium has driven up the price of ferrite. As manufacturers jumped over to the ceramic, there was a shortage. Can you say rising prices really fast?

Everything has gone up. And driver vendors tried to hold their prices long enough for neodymium to drop in price. It hasn't. It is looking like it will stabilize. Loosing money for a business is bad business. To keep in business, and keep products available the prices across the industry are bound to increase just to reflect the materials increase.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, I know it will be superior to other drivers, that's the reason I'm waiting for it. As for pricing, I thought that might be the reason for increased pricing. China has a near monopoly on ferrite and neodymium (sp?) so they control the price. What an outcry there would be if we had such trade policies! I would hope this would be my last sub purchase.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
We will see what the price is and then go from there. Just looking at numbers its hard for me to think about buying a subwoofer that cost 1000 verse four of another for 250. That being said things will be different once I see the final product. I am not saying these subwoofers are going to be anything like the $250 just what I think about when budgeting is all.

Best subwoofer out there sounds like Aurasound/JBL pricing. Which we know is expensive.

Knowing what my mains will cost adding these potential amazing subwoofers will just have to be added into the budget. Because of my wants I always look at using a minimum of four sealed subwoofers. I just hope I can afford four of them is all.:spend:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
It would suprise me if the driver was in excessive off $350-400. It would still sell for sure. Remember the 15" FI SP4 driver is $464. How superior the SP4 is or the other way around we just won't know.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I would pay an extra 50-100 for better quality than the Fi stuff. Not saying there is anything wrong with them but the mounting holes and packing boxes are not to my liking.

SO 3-500 sounds about right for a great subwoofer. Hopefully around August would be nice on delivery.

Is the goal of this subwoofer to be a flat to 300hz or what are the aims for this sub?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
It depends on what you are using it for. There are probably better pro high sensitive 15" drivers which will suit that frequency range better especially and be much cheaper. I reckon most people would be using this for Low frequency subs which don't require the need to go up to 300hz. That's my take on it.

201 - 220 of 343 Posts