Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
It will be nice to have zero inductance, but that can not happen yet.

A fair price is about the cost of a Exodus Tempest X2 or a few US dollars than that.

One thing that will be nice is the efficiency be at least 88 dB. Sure you stated that the SDX15 Mark II can handle 2000 watts, but that does not mean anything to me. A lot of high Xmax woofers from your competitors have low efficiency. Your TRIO12, TRIO8, and SDX10 have an efficiency of 85 dB which is low efficiency. I am willing to spend the money on efficiency compared to spending the money on a marketing tactic that bases on wattage handling.

Another thing that will be nice is a dual 4 ohm voice coil version to provide more choices for hook up. A dual 2 ohm voice coil version is OK, but has the fewest choices for hook up. A dual 4 ohm version can be hooked up in series to provide an 8 ohm to benefit to hooking up two for an amplifier that is 4 ohm stable or up to four for a amplifier that is 2 ohm stable.

First off, i'd like to say that the power handling isn't a marketing ploy, its moving up one of the very few limitations of the old driver. Secondly i'd like to say that the SDX 15 Mk II is aimed at home theater, which is why you see the voice coil configs that you do. And Last, I'm curious as to if you've seen anything with similar xmax in the 15" category that has a sensitivity higher than the SDX 15.

For what its worth, I think if Bob can keep that same amount of Sensitivity with the higher xmax, we will all be happy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It will be nice to have zero inductance, but that can not happen yet.

A fair price is about the cost of a Exodus Tempest X2 or a few US dollars than that.

One thing that will be nice is the efficiency be at least 88 dB. Sure you stated that the SDX15 Mark II can handle 2000 watts, but that does not mean anything to me. A lot of high Xmax woofers from your competitors have low efficiency. Your TRIO12, TRIO8, and SDX10 have an efficiency of 85 dB which is low efficiency. I am willing to spend the money on efficiency compared to spending the money on a marketing tactic that bases on wattage handling.

Another thing that will be nice is a dual 4 ohm voice coil version to provide more choices for hook up. A dual 2 ohm voice coil version is OK, but has the fewest choices for hook up. A dual 4 ohm version can be hooked up in series to provide an 8 ohm to benefit to hooking up two for an amplifier that is 4 ohm stable or up to four for a amplifier that is 2 ohm stable.
Hi,

I don't think I stated 2000 watts but we're shooting for at least 1500. The driver will sell for more than the Tempest X2. You have to make decisions/tradeoffs about excursion and efficiency and unfortunately we can't have everything (something about the laws of physics). Amplifier power is relatively cheap so high efficiency was not a priority. A future production run might have more voice coil options but this is where we are right now.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
This is going to be some serious driver. How will this compare to say the Q15, AE15 etc..

Is this likely to fair better with ported or sealed alignments and is there going to be any options for tweaking for different applications. Just a thought.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Well, it should offer more performance than the AE and with working within its limits more should give a very clean sound. Its all dependant on the test results though. The Q drivers are pretty good too, but a comparison would really be needed to answer that question. Personally I know the Fi's are a little better made than the AE's, and seem a bit of a stronger driver, so it will be interesting to see ow this driver stacks up.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Dan,

Thats one of the many reasons why I chose FI's and am very interested to see the comparison between the Q15's and the new SDX driver. The Q15 has a more excursion capabilities than the AE15's and can handle alot more power. The AE15 drivers are great drivers but not really in the same league as the FI's but then they do cost more. Its a balance game.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The comparison to the LMS-R is close except that it uses a 4" VC and higher x-max. If it can go as low as the LMS-R while providing better mid-bass in the same price range then it's a definite buy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On paper, this sounds like an excellent sub, it should be quite a bit better than the older model, specially in the low end. I use to own the old version and while it was a good sub for the price, I preferred the AE AV15X driver that I bought and sold the CCS SDX driver. The AV15X had better mid-bass and was very close in the low bass to the old SDX driver.

If this driver comes in in the $300-$350 price range and performs as good or better in the mid-bass than the old driver, it should sell well. With the extra xmax and bigger motor, it should beat the old model quite easily in the low end, specially with a big amp of 1,500+ watts. The LMS-R looks like it will have stiff competition with this sub, specially in the low bass. Let's see how the specs/tests come out.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Bob,

Any estimates on a date of availability or pricing yet? are we looking at quite a few months off still or eminent arrival?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been playing around in winisd with passive radiators and was wondering if CSS would also be releasing a matching PR in a preferable 18" setup or a 15" setup. If CSS does not have one planned, what are some thoughts from those builders with more experience with PR such as from AE or TC Sounds VMPs.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Indeed there is, which part of Europe are you in. I believe there is somewhere in Norway and Sweden you can buy CSS kit from.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Bob !
Is there a european retailer we clould here in eu buy those fat boys :daydream:, sdx10 incl.?
Hi,

All the dealers are listed on the right hand side of the CSS homepage. While not everyone carries everything it's a good place to start. There are some new possibilities in England and Germany on the horizon.

I'm hoping for an update from the factories this week on the SDX15 Mk II and a couple of other projects.

Bob

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
England, that's wicked news! Be interesting to see how much they will cost.

Any more news on specs! Sorry I've not been able to get on Home Theater Shack for a couple of weeks.

cheers

Graham

21 - 40 of 343 Posts