Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
There will be a pre-order price etc. as soon as is reasonable. Steven from Stereo Clarity will post some of his experiences with the prototype shortly.

Bob
I sure will :D

I ran some "tests" at my apartment at the extreme misfortune of my neighbors. :hsd:

What are we dealing with here? I put the SDX15 MKII prototype in a 7.5cube net box tuned to 19hz with 50sq in of port area. The box was something quick I knocked out but it's sufficient for testing...and that's an understatement. If it were going to be a box I was building to keep around it would be much better braced but it's already braced quite well inside. That being said, I can't imagine how much more savage it would be if it were in a seriously braced box. The amp in use is the Dayton SA1000 which yields 1000RMS to this sub with it's coils wired in series. Plenty...or so I thought:gulp:

The sub is a performer; nothing else to say really. I tested it with what I would consider to be the most grueling movie sequences around. U-571, Iron Man, Batman Begins, The Dark Night, Inception. Not once did I hear the sub bottom out. The Dayton was at it's maximum (1000RMS, not maximum gain) and I even saw the clip light flicker a few times...and the sub TOOK IT! It's quite efficient but it will soak up the power and ask for more! :devil:

The biggest thing I noticed about this sub is it's "presence" with LFE content. The depth charges scene in U-571 was unreal. The immersion into the scene was undeniable. We tested the sub in a corner and also directly behind the couch. We liked it behind the couch best. But even when it was only 1ft behind us it was hard to localize when tuned right. The LFE content seemed to be coming from the walls themselves.

I suppose it's also important that I tell you what kind of space my room is; that's quite important. My room is actually very very large. The main living area is 18.5x16ft with 9ft ceilings. That's not including the kitchen which is open to the room. There is also a hall that is included in the airspace as well. I'd say a conservative guess would be about 4,500 cubic feet. That being said, the sub did an impressive job at loading the room and never once lost it's composure.

As Bob said, I'm hoping to test the sub in my a vehicle later this week. More on that as it happens.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Pour some water on the fire guys.

To be completely sure a prototype is good to go takes a while. There is a reason why they are called prototypes. All parameters have to be verified.

A good design gets verified carefully. Rushing into things only makes for greater problems later.

It is getting closer everyday.

When Bob pulls the trigger it will be because there is good reason.

Mark

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Ive been following this since the threads birth. I think this driver deserves the fire its creating. Sure we have to wait a little longer, but its no less exciting, especially with nice little teasers being drip fed :drool:

I mention TSP's, because they are typically a prerequisite to designing the cabinet, although the cab obviously needs to be used to clarify final parameters as well etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
TSPs are only semi-important to me as they help model the box and give an idea how they will do, but you ALWAYS needs to measure your drivers. Anyone in this hobby without access to, or without owning a WT3 woofer tester should definitely consider it. The builds you do will be that much more accurate.

I think the figure we all should be keeping an eye out for is Xmax, when it comes time to reveal of course.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry guys. I moved some stuff around in my photobucket account and those links to the pictures were broken. I just fixed them so they should be good to go now.

My bad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Hi,

We are waiting for one more testing round in the next week as well as details from the factory on whether they can do a trim ring like we had on the first version or whether we just do a simple rubber gasket.

The final decision meeting is on the 26th.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
:wave: the world is waiting :bigsmile:
It might have been almost 1100 when you posted that in the Netherlands, but that makes it before 0100 in British Columbia. As I post this, it's not even 0600 there. Why not just wait until Bob is ready to announce his decision?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
It might have been almost 1100 when you posted that in the Netherlands, but that makes it before 0100 in British Columbia. As I post this, it's not even 0600 there. Why not just wait until Bob is ready to announce his decision?
Probably because we have an impatient society...and a shortage of high performance, crazy xmax 15" sub drivers on the market from reputable manufacturers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hi,

We had a very long meeting today and have decided that one more test is needed. This should happen during the first week of September as I need to get the driver back and then off to Seattle.

Thanks for your interest and patience.

Bob

101 - 120 of 343 Posts