Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not much of a carpenter and don't even have the tools to accomplish making a sub enclosure. Is there a place I can buy a pre-made 15" sub box?

I'm considering getting a used Velodyne sub, either a DD15 or a HGS15 but if I could build one that will outperform the Velodyne for a lot less I'd much rather do that.

I've seen some incredible looking subs that some of you guys have made and I wish I knew how to make them. I figured I could find an external amp drive it along with the Velodyne SMS1.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
What woofer are you planning on using? You may want to design the sub before going to a carpenter so they will know what to quote you.

Home Depot can cut the wood for you, do you have a screw gun, glue and some weight? A jigsaw can be had at harbor freight for under $20 to cut the hole or the entire project. Then you get new tools and a new sub :thumb: What's a used Velo going for these days? I have no doubt we can help you design something that will outperform it depending on your budget.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What woofer are you planning on using? You may want to design the sub before going to a carpenter so they will know what to quote you.

Home Depot can cut the wood for you, do you have a screw gun, glue and some weight? A jigsaw can be had at harbor freight for under $20 to cut the hole or the entire project. Then you get new tools and a new sub :thumb: What's a used Velo going for these days? I have no doubt we can help you design something that will outperform it depending on your budget.

I appreciate the help and advice guys. I would still love to try and build one even though I just bought a used HGS-12 for $400. I would like to try and build a 15" sub enclosure. If I had some box designs and plans I would probably just take it to a carpenter and have them build me a nice one. I like the look of the box of the JL audio boxes if there's a plan out there for that enclosure.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
If I had some box designs and plans I would probably just take it to a carpenter and have them build me a nice one. I like the look of the box of the JL audio boxes if there's a plan out there for that enclosure.
The sub driver you pick will determine the cabinet size that needs to be built.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not real sure about which exact one but I've read some people here and other forums getting very nice results from using the JL subs. Do you have a recommendation?

·
Registered
746 Posts
With my wrist being broken I hired a local cabinet maker to buiild my Tempest-X(15") enclosure.
I bought the MDF and had it cut into the appropriate panels for $24 + small tip to cutter.
The cabinet maker put it together(unfinished) for $60.
I will be building a ported box and had this built to take room measurements...but I LOVE it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts